cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Same Index Number for multiple parts in an Assembly

cheinrich
2-Guest

Same Index Number for multiple parts in an Assembly

Can the same index number be assigned to multiple parts within an assembly? These parts will be alternative use items depending upon the application and we don't want to list them as separate items. Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9
mender
6-Contributor
(To:cheinrich)

It doesn't fit well with the definition of the index, but there's nothing to say that you have to show 'rpt.index' in your table under the 'Index' column.  I would suggest using Fix Index to get them out of the way, and making a repeat region relation to drive a local parameter myindex as desired, and calling out 'rpt.rel.myindex'.

Matthew,

Thank you for your response. I mistakenly wrote same "index" number but I should have written same "item" number for multiple parts in the parts list. Sorry, I don't know where index came from - it's been a long day. Anyway, if there are three parts I want to report with the same item number in the parts list, is there a way to do that? For example, parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and then part 6 listed 3 times, then 7, 8, 9, etc...... is my goal. Thanks again for your response.

mender
6-Contributor
(To:cheinrich)

Hmm... for the best and most detailed answer ... is 'item' generally the part name?  or a parameter from the part?  or something else?  And for the '6-variant', is those identified by name, parameter, something else?

Item would be a parameter from the part that reports in the parts list - I think you could also call it a "find number" - the number assigned to the balloon for each part. If we want to change, for example, the reporting qty in the parts list, we enter QTYDIFF in the parameters, select String and enter AR for as required; I was hoping for something similar for the item number.

Yes and no. Typically index numbers are assigned to lines in a Repeat Region on a drawing and, by default, each Repeat Region, even if it has the same parts, can be ordered differently and given different numbers. The ordering can be affected by sorting and Fix(ing) and unFix(ing) the individual entries to the default Repeat Region report index.

Alternatively, each component of an assembly can have parameters assigned to it within the assembly in a manual process, and those parameters can have any values appropriate to the type assigned to that parameter for each component, which is what Matthew Ender suggested.

In the second case, I prefer to use String type and assign Find Numbers as string data to the components.

In this way, any Repeat Region that is indexed from the Find Number parameter applied to the components will be driven from the assembly component parameter values.

Finally, you can tell the Repeat Region to report a unique line for each component or to have the report attempt to match the lines up and report a single line for each match with a quantity of matches. To get a variety of parts to match each other requires the entire line to match; often this means some component level parameter or common name that is identical among them and use that as the distinguishing factor.

Sadly, to do a full description of Repeat Regions would take about an 8 hour class, so I'll have to stop here for now.

David,

Thank you for your response. I think the string type solution is what I am looking for, but what do I type into the parameter field that I am adding? I have tried ITEM_NO, FINDNUMBER and several other entries that I thought would make sense. I am trying to follow the example from the ASME Y14.34-2013 Associated lists standard, fig 5.3, page 22 if that helps. Thank you for your time.

You need to create a component level parameter by picking the parameters dialog and then selecting from the drop down where is gives the type and select (I think) feature or component, and then from the drop down, pick one of the components. Then create a parameter for that component. Don't select 'part' because you don't want a new parameter in the part; it needs to be in retained in the assembly.

Alternatively you can set a model tree column to show the component parameter. Each block for that parameter in the model tree will be blank when you first display it until the block is selected and a value typed in. When you pick the parameter to display, it won't be in the list but at the bottom is what looks like a drop down box that you can type a name into.

If you use the name "findnumber" then the repeat region entry will be &asm.cparam.findnumber or &asm.mbr.cparam.findnumber.

David,

If I create a parameter at the component level, will that be a string type? If so, what do I enter - ITEM, ITEM_NO or something else? Or will I need to add the entries as a repeat region as outlined in your previous response? Thanks for your input and patience.

The name of the parameter is something you like, such as FINDNUMBER. The string you enter will be the number you intend to identify the component with. The entries are retrieved by the Repeat Region software and displayed in the related table.

I think you may need to read this: TUTORIAL: Create BOM Table in Pro/E Detailing

The menus have changed locations, but the basic operation is the same.

Top Tags