Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save, Save As and Load

Not applicable

Save, Save As and Load

<ul><li>Save vers. Save As and the special situation in OneSpace Modeling</li><li>Selection of what items to save</li><ul><li>All at top</li><li>Selected</li><li>All in current viewport (drawlist)</li></ul><li>Last used filename (Load and Save)<br /></li></ul>

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
(in response to)

Re: Save, Save As and Load

In order to assess the filing use model in OSM I would like to know which native file formats are usually used? Do (new) users ever use 3D Data/Modified (*.sd*) files or do they usually save to a package (*.pkg) or bundle (*.bdl) file?
Not applicable
(in response to)

Most users, new or old, without the use of MM, always use package files for 3D. With 3D+2D, most choose pkg + mi. Some go for the bundle. Most new users I come across think in terms of 1 file per session. New users do not think beyond sharing parts from one assembly to another. They just want to be able to save what they are working on.

I think that the biggest thing that always hits a new user is that OSM has a some rather different ways of looking at the relationship between ""what's loaded in my session"" and ""what file did I load it from."" When you think of normal Windows programs, there's a 1:1 file to object relationship in most cases. This is true for Microsoft Word, Excel, etc. as well as for other well-known CAD programs like SolidWorks. You open a file, and you get a window for that object, and when you save, it knows to put it back. In OSM, this can be the case if you load 3d instance data (as opposed to packages or bundles or drawings in Annotation), but I don't know very many OSM users who have managed to last very long trying to manage contents and instance files on their local file system w/o something like ModelManager to deal with the complexity of it all. For most users, it's loading package files that becomes the routine. And you can load as many as you like, but you have to be aware of the Sys-ID sharing behavior and understand that things don't know how to go back into the package files they came from unless you manually take care of that. And that Annotation can only deal with a single drawing in-session at a time. All of that is distinctly strange, odd, unique and mind-bending to new users accustomed to the Windows file/document paradigm. Now, I'm not ready to suggest how this might be made easier to deal with in OSM, but I do think it's a major issue for new users because it is Different.
Not applicable
(in response to coroto)

We all know that Filing in OneSpace Modeling is quite different to other Windows applications and that (new) users are really confused about this. This complaint exists for a long time now. But the question is, how could we improve the situation without sacrificing existing functionality? We can't introduce the MDI (multiple document interface) concept like in Word or even in SolidWorks without changing the way how we work with parts and assemblies in a fundamental way. Are there any creative and feasible proposals out there how to improve this situation?

OK, I'll bite. I know it's not fair to complain without trying to help in some way. I won't claim to have thought about this in enough detail to make it be worth anything, but it might be something to talk about: >Allow the user to set a Preference (somewhere in Edit-->Settings) for the file handling mode for data to be stored on the file system. You could choose between 3D Data, Package or Bundle (and maybe a None or Default choice). >As part of the Package and Bundle loading and storing routines, attach an attribute to each storable object which records where it was stored to or loaded from. For an Annotation drawing, an INFO string could be used. >Use the attribute where possible to make it easy for the user to store data back into wherever it came from. Perhaps there could be some level of backup as well, when writing out new versions of the package(s) where the prior one would be renamed so you'd have a fallback. (Multiple possibilities here for file aging, naming, etc.) >These attributes could be used to keep track of which files depended on which others (e.g. an Annotation drawing could know which package file its 3d model(s) came from. >If done right, you also could allow package/bundle stores to affect the Modified flags of objects in your session, which they don't do now. Maybe by establishing a standard filing type preference, some of the user's choices could be simplified or the behavior could be made a little ""smarter"" as far as the user perceives it. Just a notion.... now, to think about the implications and whether the net result would be an improvement ;^()
Not applicable
(in response to coroto)

When I first started using OSDM I was very confused by the multiple file format options. Now I usually save 3d models as packages and drawings separately as .ami files. However, I have had the unpleasant experience of drawings and 3d models ""losing"" their association. I then have to go back and and relink the files manually. It would be nice if association was a little more robust. I also don't like having to save the associated 3d model every time I modify a drawings. To me, a drawings should be automatically attached to 3d model and update/save every time the model is changed.
Announcements