cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Save a copy of part but reference orignal part

ptc-5471878
1-Newbie

Save a copy of part but reference orignal part

I have 3 similar parts to design. So I decided to make one part that has features that all three parts share. Now I want to be able to copy this base part 3 times and start adding features unique to each of the three parts. The issue I am having a problem with is I also want those 3 copied parts to reference the base part. So if I change a feature in the base part then my 3 unique parts will also update.

How do I copy the base part 3 times and have those copies reference the original part?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You want to look into Merge/Inheritance. You'd have the parent part and then pass the features to the 3 parts by using Insert, Shared Data, Merge/Inheritance.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

You want to look into Merge/Inheritance. You'd have the parent part and then pass the features to the 3 parts by using Insert, Shared Data, Merge/Inheritance.

...or learn more about family tables. This allows you to make unique parts within one file if they enough alike to manage it this way.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

How unique are the 3 parts from each other. If you have a lot of differences, I probably would not go with family tables (and I use them frequently). If they are fairly similar with only a few differences, then that would be a good option and the "generic" would be a hodge podge of all the feature on the part and you just turn on/off the features in the family table.

Thanks, Dale

Thanks for the help everyone. I've done a little be with family tables and the parts are not that different from each other so I will probably go that route. Going to take a look at the merge/inheritance first though.

Thanks Again!

Top Tags