cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Save assembly & drawings in new file location

A_Jimenez
5-Regular Member

Save assembly & drawings in new file location

I need to move an assembly to a new file location (new tooling project). When I save a copy and rename the assembly, none of the parts or drawings move over. I don't want to rename the parts, because the current part #'s are established.

Is there a way to move over a full assembly with parts and drawings without renaming parts and moving each part and drawing individually?

Currently using Creo 4.0 

I don't have access to Windchill, but the company does have a Windchill licenses if needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I never do any of this type of thing from within Creo. When I have a new project that I'm going to start off with the files from a previous project, I do the following:

(1) Create a new directory for the new project.

(2) Copy all the files from the previous project into the new directory. Done via the Windows file system, not within Creo.

(3) Start a fresh session of Creo, navigate to the new project's directory.

(4) Open the files and rename them as necessary for the new project.

I don't like the "Save a Backup" funtionality because it saves everything as a new file - library parts like screws, dowels, or other standard hardware included. Files that should only be used from the company-wide standard parts area now have random copies scattered about, etc.

I always rename all the files associated with a new project so they are unique to that project. Thus I can, once I've done my proper "housekeeping", open both the old project and the new one at the same time if I need to do any comparisons, undo any things I might have messed up, etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:A_Jimenez)

Use Save as Backup to copy all parts to new file location then rename assembly.  This will not copy the part drawings. 

You could also use file explorer to copy all of the file to the new folder then use Creo to rename.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

I never do any of this type of thing from within Creo. When I have a new project that I'm going to start off with the files from a previous project, I do the following:

(1) Create a new directory for the new project.

(2) Copy all the files from the previous project into the new directory. Done via the Windows file system, not within Creo.

(3) Start a fresh session of Creo, navigate to the new project's directory.

(4) Open the files and rename them as necessary for the new project.

I don't like the "Save a Backup" funtionality because it saves everything as a new file - library parts like screws, dowels, or other standard hardware included. Files that should only be used from the company-wide standard parts area now have random copies scattered about, etc.

I always rename all the files associated with a new project so they are unique to that project. Thus I can, once I've done my proper "housekeeping", open both the old project and the new one at the same time if I need to do any comparisons, undo any things I might have messed up, etc.

Top Tags