cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Scaling an Assembly

ptc-3274324
1-Newbie

Scaling an Assembly

Hello all and thank you ahead of time for any responses.

I downloaded an assembly from grabcad as a step file, imported it into CREO 2, and then attempted to scale the model and it is not scaling. I clicked "Operations", "Scale Model" then entered a value of 0.66 because the length is 18 and I would like it around 12. The system prompts me to accept the scaling and regeneration to which I click OK, and in the bottom left of the screen it says "rescaling dimension", but nothing ever happens and the models dimensions stay the same. The model has about 40 parts, my PC is Core i5, and I have given it over a half hour to process but nothing. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To close this community thread on Scaling an Assembly

Summary of the exchanges and list of solutions:

• Scaling the model in Assembly mode will only impact the items and dimensions generated at this level (offset datums, component placement, assembly cuts, etc).
  • Component geometry can only be scaled at Part level and several commands / options exist (if you have the required licenses), see also CS31500:
    • Model > Operations > Scale Model
    • File > Prepare > Model Properties > Shrinkage (Change) > By Scaling (with appropriate negative value)
    • Model > Editing > Warp > Transform (or Stretch for a single direction)
  • Alternate methods to perform the operation on the whole assembly:
    • You could create your own Unit and associated System of Units to convert the assembly and its sub models with the required factor, then switch back to the original units interpreting the dimensions (File > Prepare > Model Properties > Units (Change).
    • If not interested by the structure itself, you may export / import back the assembly as IGES / STEP to a single part, then scale the model.
      • For the STEP format you may need to set the hidden config option intf3d_in_as_part to yes, as indicated in this post

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

I am not familiar enough with the straight forward way to scale import models. However, I do know you can trick the imported parts by using the Units settings in File>Prepare>Model Properties>Units. You can make a new unit as .66 or 2/3 if you want more accuracy. Now create a new System of Units to include your new units. When you change your part to this new unit system setting, you have the option of scaling the model units. once this is done, you can revert back to your desired units by using the other conversion method.

A little effort will get you want you need. It is the only way I know to fool Creo to get what you want.

JamesAvis
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-3274324)

According to the documentation, imported geometry cannot be scaled using the scale tool.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

You can only scale parts, not assemblies

Interesting!

If I use Model > Operations > Scale Model, I can scale even imports (tested with a cube in STEP format imported into part mode)

Assemblies can also be scaled, but this affects only assembly geometry and dimensions (e.g. offsets) and not the components in the assembly - which makes it pretty useless for imported assemblies. You will have to scale component by component.

The two alternate methods (if you have the required licenses) are also applicable for part modus only:

• File > Prepare > Shrinkage (Change) > By Scaling (with appropriate negative value)

Dear Thomas,

It is possible to scale imported model with scale command. I tried with Imported JT file and It works well

Sandeep K

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

So if I have an imported STEP assembly, the only way to scale it is to modify the scale of all the parts individually and reassemble them?

I see lots of responses on how to scale the model, which works fine. The problem is once you scale all the individual components, they are no longer in the right place in the assembly and need to be put in the right place. Okay for a small assembly, but unbearable for a large assembly.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:sm)

Look at this post... Assembly model scale  I think you can make it work using a units conversion.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:StephenW)

I tried it and my imported geometry did not change in size. Maybe I did not do it correctly. I'll give it another shot.

sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

In my situation, I do not need the assembly structure, just the geometry. I opened the STEP as an Assembly and then exported as a Flat IGES. Erase everything from session and then import the IGES as a part. Now I can scale the part (assy) down to the size I want. If I really want to move or modify the "components" they are all organized in the IDD tree if you Redefine the Import feature.

Still feels a bit "hacky", but it got me what I needed.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I like your solution better if you don't need the assembly structure and it's much much few files to manage if that is a concern (always is a concern for me)

Just FYI, there is an option that makes a step assembly import as a part instead of converting it to IGES...see Clean Up Imported Assy

pmalone
2-Guest

I was able to save the Assembly simply as an IGES file (Geometry = Solids) and open the IGES file (Type = Part / Geometry) then scale the part using Scale Model.

I didn't need the intermediate step..

Thanks so much!!

To close this community thread on Scaling an Assembly

Summary of the exchanges and list of solutions:

• Scaling the model in Assembly mode will only impact the items and dimensions generated at this level (offset datums, component placement, assembly cuts, etc).
  • Component geometry can only be scaled at Part level and several commands / options exist (if you have the required licenses), see also CS31500:
    • Model > Operations > Scale Model
    • File > Prepare > Model Properties > Shrinkage (Change) > By Scaling (with appropriate negative value)
  • Alternate methods to perform the operation on the whole assembly:
    • You could create your own Unit and associated System of Units to convert the assembly and its sub models with the required factor, then switch back to the original units interpreting the dimensions (File > Prepare > Model Properties > Units (Change).
    • If not interested by the structure itself, you may export / import back the assembly as IGES / STEP to a single part, then scale the model.
      • For the STEP format you may need to set the hidden config option intf3d_in_as_part to yes, as indicated in this post
Top Tags