cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Set coordinate system at very long distance

Steelfoot
7-Bedrock

Set coordinate system at very long distance

Hi all,

For the need of exporting a BIM model (using BIMDeX ifc exporter), I must set an export coordinate system located at a very long distance from the local coordinate system of the project.

This export coordinate system is located round 2000 km in X and Y axis (don't ask me why !) and Creo 7 doesn't accept such length. The project is about 150 meters long with parts of some millimeters dimensions.

Is there a solution to deal with such length into Creo 7?

Thanks for any help.

best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Steelfoot wrote:

Hi all,

For the need of exporting a BIM model (using BIMDeX ifc exporter), I must set an export coordinate system located at a very long distance from the local coordinate system of the project.

This export coordinate system is located round 2000 km in X and Y axis (don't ask me why !) and Creo 7 doesn't accept such length. The project is about 150 meters long with parts of some millimeters dimensions.

Thanks for any help.

best regards.

Hi,

contact PTC Support and ask them to reveal hidden config.pro option which enables to enter values higher than 1.000.000.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I don't know what the defaults are for Creo 7, but maybe the accuracy setting is causing trouble? In Creo 4, the default is "relative", which often causes troubles when there is a combination of large and very small features, etc. I don't know what effect changing to "absolute" will have on you if you're trying to deal with such an enormous difference in "sizes". We often have to deal with working on small parts that are located with respect to aircraft coordinates. The coordinate system for the aircraft can often be very far away from our parts, but not anything even approaching the geographical (or perhaps astronomical?) distances you are talking about.

@Steelfoot wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for any help.

best regards.

Hi,

contact PTC Support and ask them to reveal hidden config.pro option which enables to enter values higher than 1.000.000.

Martin Hanák

Hi Ken and Martin,

Thank you for your responses.

Martin, this problem learned me that Creo does not accept numbers greater than 1.000.000.

Both of your answers gave me the idea of changing the unit system of my assembly, from millimeters to kilometers, so that the coordinates I have to set become smallest than 1.000.000.

Changing to kilometers unit cause visual problems on the assembly. I suppose this is due to the way I reach the decimal accuracy.

I'll make another try today with both of your remarks. Otherwise, I will look at a BIM software to make a coordinate system translation after export.

Best regards.
Steelfoot.

@Steelfoot wrote:

Hi Ken and Martin,

Thank you for your responses.

Martin, this problem learned me that Creo does not accept numbers greater than 1.000.000.

Both of your answers gave me the idea of changing the unit system of my assembly, from millimeters to kilometers, so that the coordinates I have to set become smallest than 1.000.000.

Changing to kilometers unit cause visual problems on the assembly. I suppose this is due to the way I reach the decimal accuracy.

I'll make another try today with both of your remarks. Otherwise, I will look at a BIM software to make a coordinate system translation after export.

Best regards.
Steelfoot.

Hi,

I would like to repeat my last reply ... contact PTC Support and ask them to reveal hidden config.pro option which enables you to enter values higher than 1.000.000.

PTC Support web page ... https://www.ptc.com/en/support/ 

On this page there is OPEN A SUPPORT CASE link. Using this link you can open support request.

Martin Hanák
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Steelfoot)

Finding and setting the hidden config that controls maximum value, as @MartinHanak suggested, would be ideal.  However, you may be able to work around it.

Try starting in meters.  Place your CSYS at desired distance.  Change back to millimeters selecting convert.  This should get you the larger value required.

kdirth_1-1649767495812.png kdirth_2-1649767515396.png kdirth_3-1649767565342.png kdirth_4-1649767583355.png kdirth_5-1649767612635.png

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags