cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Setting transparency for part surfaces in assembly

kirk.wemple
1-Newbie

Setting transparency for part surfaces in assembly

Is it possible within assembly mode to specify a surface of a part model to be transparent while the rest of the part is solid? I received a assembly model that had the logo area as transparent while the rest of the part was solid. There was no transparency defined at the part level. Couldn't find anywhere in Color and Appearances in assy mode to alter part surfaces. Photo attached.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Hi Kirk,
This is easily possible. You need to have one colour in your appearance.dmt (or color.map) as fully transparent. Then from the color dialogue box choose a surface (or surfaces) and apply that transparent colour to it. This will allow you to see inside the solid model. Fabulous technique for plastic mold tool design as you can see all the cooling lines inside the block. I guess the explanation is that solid colour only applies that colour to the surfaces of the solid and not through the solid meaning that when one face becomes transparent then you can see inside.
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Regards, Brent Drysdale
Mechanical Designer
Tait Electronics Ltd (www.taitworld.com)
New Zealand
Ph. +64 3 358 1093

kirk wemple wrote:Is it possible within assembly mode to specify a surface of a part model to be transparent while the rest of the part is solid? I received a assembly model that had the logo area as transparent while the rest of the part was solid. There was no transparency defined at the part level. Couldn't find anywhere in Color and Appearances in assy mode to alter part surfaces. Photo attached.
Top Tags