cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Sheet metal blend question

pshepherdson
9-Granite

Sheet metal blend question

Hi,

I get a repeatable model crash, and I'm wondering if it's a bug or if it's a "Creo thing".  I have a simple, three sided shape that passes thru 3 'blend' profiles.  The first two profiles are the same size & shape.  The last one is a smaller version of the first two (or larger, doesn't seem to matter).  For whatever reason, since the last (or first) shape is different (in size) I cannot add bend radii to the model.  (It fails, unless I remove 'add bend to sharp edges')  But, if the middle profile is smaller (or larger), and the two end profiles the same size, i can add any bend radii I want.  And it keeps the bend radii.

So, do Sheet metal blends need to have their start & end profiles the same shape & dimensions?!

any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

When sheetmetal fails, it is usually due to some obscure geometric flaw in -your- thinking.

This particular shape is likely better achieved with a user-defined flange; unfolded-&-trimmed; rebend.

Your requirement could also be achieved with a custom punch.  Just know punches may be ignored in flat-patterns and considered 100% deformation.

Creo is infuriatingly precise.  Sheetmetal functions are based on surface w/ thickness modeling techniques. 

It has serious limitations. 

If you are an advanced Sheetmetal user, you can probably force, or forge just about anything out of Creo Sheetmetal.  The toaster-side-panel tutorial video on unfold is quiet telling in capabilities and the grain of salt required to trust the solution.  Tearing, bunching, and thinning is not accounted for in Creo S.M. to date. 

Top Tags