cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Sheet metal part creation?

amccaffrey-2
5-Regular Member

Sheet metal part creation?

Can the part attached, created in Creo 2, be made in sheet metal form? It has been created just as extruded forms but I now want to make a drawing, showing both folded and flat views for manufacturing.

Message was edited by: Andrew McCaffrey

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Andrew,

I opened the part and was able to use "Convert to Sheetmetal" by selecting a driving surface. One correction I had to make was to change the thickness of Extrude 5 to 5 MM. It was at 4.58 or something odd. The conversion fails if that feature is not fixed.

Brandon

amccaffrey-2
5-Regular Member
(To:banderson-4)

Thanks for replying Brandon. Can you clarify your actions please as I'm not too familiar with what you have described. For example, what driving surface did you pick and what dimension ref? I could find 'convert to sheetmetal' under 'model' and then 'operations' but that was it!

Andrew

汐xie
5-Regular Member
(To:amccaffrey-2)

Hi Andrew,

The feature "Extrude 5" is strange, you need to change the thickness from 0.46 to 0.5, then use 'convert to sheetmetal' and select one surface (any surface) as the driving surface, then you can get the sheetmetal.

amccaffrey-2
5-Regular Member
(To:汐xie)

A small part of the material thickness was thinner for whatever reason and I corrected this so that all of the material thickness is now 0.5 mm. However, although parts of the model can be flattened I still cannot flatten all of it in one go. Also, the question of how to include both bent and flattened images onto a drawing is still to be answered. I would appreciate some help on this if anyone knows?

To do this, you can make an instance of the flat state in a family table. Then in your drawing, you use the two models, the bend part and the flatten part.

amccaffrey-2
5-Regular Member
(To:RaphMORIN)

Hi,

Yes, I understand that but I can only seem to be able to flatten part of the sheet metal and not all of it in one go! I can flatten the large curve for example but not the two other surfaces. Will the part flatten in two directions?

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:amccaffrey-2)

Check out this video:  TRANSITION BEND - YouTube

There is always more to learn in Creo.
Top Tags