cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Shell failure in Create Shell Features tutorial

RonanCJ
3-Visitor

Shell failure in Create Shell Features tutorial

I have been following the Get Started with Creo Parametric Modeling playlist to learn Creo as a SolidWorks user. The playlist was straightforward until I got to the Create Shell Features tutorial. Setting the shell thickness to 3.50 causes the feature to fail, and even setting it to 1.50 results in thin geometry being created.

RonanCJ_0-1705563379865.png

RonanCJ_2-1705563480211.png

While I don't believe I've made an error, it's possible I overlooked something when going through the tutorials. I've attached the part file to this post (it's a Creo Versioned File, which cannot be uploaded directly to this forum).

Version: Creo Parametric 8.0.4 student edition, Creo Parametric 10.0.0 student edition

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:RonanCJ)

NOt being able to open a student version file, I would guess that your revolve did not fully intersect with the tank, leaving a small notch (see below).  Increase the revolve angle or decrease the diameter.

kdirth_0-1705584036833.png

There is always more to learn in Creo.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kdirth
20-Turquoise

NOt being able to open a student version file, I would guess that your revolve did not fully intersect with the tank, leaving a small notch (see below).  Increase the revolve angle or decrease the diameter.

kdirth_0-1705584036833.png

Hi,

in my test model the problem is related to "red circle area".

MartinHanak_0-1705590218994.png

thick 2.0

MartinHanak_1-1705590270627.png

thick 6.0

MartinHanak_2-1705590358705.png

thick 7.0 ... sharp tip

MartinHanak_3-1705590414031.png

thick 7.1 ...failure

Martin Hanák
RonanCJ
3-Visitor

Thank you @kdirth and @MartinHanak for the quick replies. The issue was indeed the revolve angle being big enough, so it is curious that 210 degrees worked in the official PTC tutorial but not with the student versions of Creo. I increased the revolve angle to 300 degrees, and while I couldn't increase the shell thickness to 4.0 or above like Martin could, I was able to complete the rest of the playlist with some other errors.

Having someone from PTC go through this playlist would improve Creo's new user onboarding experience. Some instructions cannot be followed with the available student editions (at the very least), and fixing these would make transitioning from other CAD programs easier and more attractive.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I had the same issue as you did with the instructions.  But, being an experienced user, I knew what to look at.  I clicked the thumbs down at the top of the page and left a comment on the inaccuracy of the instructions.

Top Tags