cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Shortcut to type in dimensions as you draw sketch elements?

AWilliamWright
2-Guest

Shortcut to type in dimensions as you draw sketch elements?

(currently using the PTCU virtual desktop version of Creo parametric)

When I'm creating sketch elements, such as lines, circles, etc., is there a shortcut to immediately enter in the values as I'm drawing them? Such as, a shortcut that brings up the type-in dialogue immediately after placing the element?

Right now, it seems like the fastest way is to create the element, then press escape (if drawing a line), then close out the tool using the middle mouse button, then find and click on the little dialogue for the dimension (hoping it isn't overlapping something), THEN finally type in the dimension.

This seems very cumbersome and slow, so I wondered if there's a more streamlined process I'm not aware of.

-
Andy Wright, 3D Designer and Artist
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hmm, I am guessing you mean something like dynamic input mode in AutoCAD:

pausob_0-1702071860692.png

Yeah, that's not a thing in Creo Sketcher.  I guess it would be something nice to have - but I find that most of the time, creating a sketch is a 2 step process: 1) sketching the exaggerated intent shape, and 2) defining the constraints and dimensions to lock-in the design.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I don't know of any way to automate selection and modification of dimensions as entities are created.

I (and I'm sure most others) draw a sketch then go back and modify/create the dimensions wanted.  The sketch solver rarely creates all of the desired dimensions.

With configuration setting sketcher_auto_scale_dimensions set to Yes the first modified dimension will scale the sketch.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Hmm, I am guessing you mean something like dynamic input mode in AutoCAD:

pausob_0-1702071860692.png

Yeah, that's not a thing in Creo Sketcher.  I guess it would be something nice to have - but I find that most of the time, creating a sketch is a 2 step process: 1) sketching the exaggerated intent shape, and 2) defining the constraints and dimensions to lock-in the design.

I was a little worried that would be the case. I'm most familiar with AutoCAD's little brother, Fusion, in which you can just draw, 10-key, draw, 10-key, draw, 10-key, and crank out sketches super fast.

Oh well. Perhaps Creo is not the best place to do initial concept prototyping.

-
Andy Wright, 3D Designer and Artist
Top Tags