cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Show Datum Plane in Drawing View?

Rocks1
1-Newbie

Show Datum Plane in Drawing View?

I can't seem to find a way to show a datum plane in my drawing view. I would like to show the plane and make dimensions to it. I called support about this, but they said it was impossible to show the datum plane, except for when the datum plane view was turned on. I want to select the datum planes I want to show, similar to how you would show a hole axis by clicking on "show model annotations" and selecting the axis you want to show. I can't believe that this isn't possible, it seems like a very simple thing. Can anyone help?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:Rocks1)

Is this what you want? Just show planes from the graphic toolbar, right click the plane and hit Properties and change the "A" (or whatever) to the "-A-" .

plane.JPG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Look at GD&T. I can't look at the moment, I am into something. But I will look in a bit.

You might need to investigate the use of the "Set Datum Tag" Annotation Feature. Alternatively, you can right click on the datum plane and select "Set Datum Tag Annotation" display option.

Scott, I can't seem to find a "set datum tag" option. I tried right clicking the datum in the model and in the drawing and neither of them gave me that option. I also don't see it under Annotate. Can you tell me exactly where it is? Thanks!

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Is this what you want? Just show planes from the graphic toolbar, right click the plane and hit Properties and change the "A" (or whatever) to the "-A-" .

plane.JPG

I apologize. I meant to say right click the datum in the Model Tree. Then click on "Properties" and then the datum properties box will show up. You should see three buttons below the Name box and you will want to select the far right one. That will change what kind of Datum it is.

What is important to understand is that datums in the model have a different meaning than what is a datum that is displayed in a drawing. That is what Matt was referring to when he suggested that GD&T would be a path to investigate.

One key to understand is that Datums are not real. (Mind Blown) The way we show them on drawings are with Datum Features. Datum Tags are the way we detail where Datum Features are on the part.

It is often not proper to have a plane shown on the drawing unless it is a proper Datum Plane. You can show a hole's axis regardless of wether or not it is a Datum Feature because that is the traditional way to show cylindrical features on 2D drawings.

Rocks1
1-Newbie

Finally! Yes Matt that is what I needed! Scott, thank you for the information, I did want it to be a "proper" datum plane I just didn't know how to do it. Thank you!

Top Tags