cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Show domensin names in sketch view

aruzgys
5-Regular Member

Show domensin names in sketch view

Hi

Using Creo Parametric 10.0.1.0

Wanting to know if theres a way to rename dimensions and show them in the sketch view.

So far have tried 2 methods, which do not show in the sketch view itself.

the first being the "dimesion text" that also shows in a drawing, the second being the dimension name (then toggling the "switch dimensions under model or tools tabs)

As an example, this dimension "160 wide" is also labelled as wide, inside sketcher it shows as only 160 or "sd4" (the original name before renamed)

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:aruzgys)

There is no way to show dimension names within a sketch. The sketch has its own internal names for the dimensions, of the form "sd##", as you've noted. It has always been this way.

If you are wanting to have the names of the dimensions so you can define relations within the sketch, let me heartily suggest that you don't do that. Over the years I've found that relations embedded in sketches are terrible. First, it is not evident that dimensions are being governed by relations because they are "hidden". Second, the only way to edit those relations is to redefine the sketch, which can be a real pain if it triggers a regeneration cascade.

It's always best to keep the relations in the relations area, where all the calculations are visible and you can use the dimensions you've renamed to understandable things.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:aruzgys)

There is no way to show dimension names within a sketch. The sketch has its own internal names for the dimensions, of the form "sd##", as you've noted. It has always been this way.

If you are wanting to have the names of the dimensions so you can define relations within the sketch, let me heartily suggest that you don't do that. Over the years I've found that relations embedded in sketches are terrible. First, it is not evident that dimensions are being governed by relations because they are "hidden". Second, the only way to edit those relations is to redefine the sketch, which can be a real pain if it triggers a regeneration cascade.

It's always best to keep the relations in the relations area, where all the calculations are visible and you can use the dimensions you've renamed to understandable things.

aruzgys
5-Regular Member
(To:KenFarley)

Thanks, yea definitely know to avoid relations inside the sketch.

Shame its not possible, would be handy in alot of instances.

Closing for now, appreciate your time 🙂 

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: Real-time Collaboration

Top Tags