cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Shrinkwrap

npeters
1-Newbie

Shrinkwrap

When we shrink wrap files we need to figure out the best way to send models with the least amount of viable information for client use. Is there a way to send files better than a simple merged solid?

4 REPLIES 4
sjuraj
13-Aquamarine
(To:npeters)

There are 3 types of shrinkwrap:

• merged solid - merge all parts to one (may crash during merging)
  • surface subset - reliable but there could be lot of missing faces reagrding to quality level of shrinkwrap
  • faceted solid - very bare solution, bad quality of result model, but file size is small

To save asm as shrinkwrap: save and copy -> shrinkwrap -> choose type -> sel quality -> set additional options (fill holes, ...)

This was always problem to make single part from assembly. I do it merging parts manually what takes me more time but i can pick only those components what i really need. If I need some subasm only for boundary reasons I simple replace it with solid block.

I hope this will help you.

Creating Shrinkwrap files is not a straight forward task.

What we follow is:

1. first we simplify the assembly by creating simplified rep and excluding all the components that are not required.
  2. Remove any complex geometry like text extrusions, splines, knurling etc. that are not required.
  3. We don't use the Fill holes option always since there are some features that are required to be open.
  4. Manually fill the inside of any hollow parts by just covering all the openings with extrude upto some certain depth. so after shrinkwrap it will be completely filled.
  5. Finally do a Save As of the assembly to shrinkwrap formats.

There are many instances where the export to shrinkwrap fails. We may have to match the accuracies, or merge components. This will be trial and error method.

If anyone has any better approach, please share.

Regards,

Manjunath

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

The coolest thing I've seen recently is Creo 4's ability to send a file to the cloud as a lightweight...then send the client a thingmark that they can scan to view the 3d information using mobile app for viewing.  They can only look at it.  If you need them to have the geometry to do clearance checks against other cad objects, then probably not viable solution.  But it is something that is coming and easy to do. 

BrianTaylor
4-Participant

Nathan, when you make your shrink-wrap are you selecting external features button ?  have you tried exclude then shrinkwrap or shrinkwrap then exclude

Top Tags