cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Simplied Rep of a Part in a Drawing View of an Assembly

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

Simplied Rep of a Part in a Drawing View of an Assembly

Here we go...

What I am Trying to Accomplish:
I want to create Simplied Reps of Parts and then have those Parts display that way in a Drawing View of an Assembly which contains those Parts. So far, I can't make this happen. Anybody doing this successfully out there? Here is my step-by-step:

Software: WF3 M210

Step-by-Step:
1. Make a Part (.prt) called "Plate-1".
a. Draw a rectangular and extrude it.
b. Extrude a circle through the plate.
c. Create Simplified Rep of the part where the extrude circle is Excluded. Name the Simplified Rep "No_Circle".
d. Save the Part.

2. Make a Part (.prt) called "Plate-2".
a. Draw a rectangular and extrude it.
b. Extrude a square through the plate.
c. Create Simplified Rep of the part where the extrude square is Excluded. Name the Simplified Rep "No_Square".
d. Save the Part.

3. Create an Assembly (.asm) called "Assy-1".
a. Place the Component called "Plate-1".
b. Place the Component called "Plate-2". (Orient the two Parts to make an L-shape.)
c. Create a Simplified Rep of the assembly where both parts are visible. Name the Simplified Rep "No_Thru_Cuts".
d. Activate the "No_Thru_Cuts" Simplified Rep.
e. In View Manager, click on the "Properties" button.
f. Click on "Plate-1" in the model.
g. In View Manager, click on the icon which has the tooltip of "Activate a simplified rep from the selected component".
h. From the list in the resulting dialog box, click on "No_Circle" then click on the "Apply" button.
(Note: In your model, the extruded circle should no longer be displayed in "Plate-1".)
i. Click on "Plate-2" in the model.
j. In View Manager, click on the icon which has the tooltip of "Activate a simplified rep from the selected component".
k. From the list in the resulting dialog box, click on "No_Square" then click on the "Apply" button.
(Note: In your model, the extruded square should no longer be displayed in "Plate-2".)
l. Click on the "Close" button.
m. Save the assembly.

4. Create a Drawing (.drw) called "Drawing-1".
a. Create a drawing view (Insert General View) which references the "Assy-1" file.
b. Choose the view settings you normally choose, but do this, too: View States>Simplified Representation>"No_Thru_Cuts", then click OK.

What I expected to see:
I had hoped that I would see a view of my assembled plates displayed WITHOUT THE THRU CUTS (i.e no circular extrusion; no square extrustion). After all, that's how I defined the "No_Thru_Cuts" Simplified Rep in the assembly file.

What I actually get:
I get the assembled plates WITH the thru cuts. Bummer.

Another Clue:
When I am in the .asm file and create the Simplied Rep of Assembly which invokes the Simplified Reps of the Parts, it appears that it doesn't "stick". What I mean is that after I create the Simplified Rep, then toggle back to the Master Rep, then reactivate the Simplied Rep..., Pro/E doesn't remember that I wanted those two parts to display according to those Parts' Simplified Reps.

Question:
Is Pro/E (WF4) n-o-t designed to retain the Simplified Reps of PARTS when referenced in a Simplified Rep of an ASSEMBLY?

That sure would be a lousy situation. Why would PTC give us the ability to create such a great nested Simplified Rep but then n-o-t have it retained in the .asm and n-o-t have it available for use in a .drw view? (I know..., don't expect common sense to rule the day.<g>)

Anybody else trying to achieve this result with Simplified Reps of Parts in Drawing Views of Assemblies?

Thanks for the feedback.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags