For several days now, I've been experiencing a strange problem when I attempt to switch into Simulate mode from Creo Parametric 2.0 (Date Code M050) on a high-level assembly. When I attempt this, Creo simply hangs up. It provides no errors or warnings, and doesn't crash/close, it just sits there, and eventually says 'Not Responding' on the top of the window.
The strange thing is that this assembly consists of 3 sub assemblies; all 3 of which work fine in Simulate mode independently. I've worked on all 3 sub-assemblies independently without any issues. I've even meshed them without any trouble. Yet, when I assemble the 3, and attempt to switch into Simulate mode, Creo hangs up.
Last night prior to leaving work, I went ahead and attempted one last time to switch into Simulate mode. When I got in this morning, the assembly was successfully in Simulate mode. I worked in it for awhile, but as soon as I opened another part and had to switch windows, I ran into the same issue when I attempted to switch back to my assembly.
I've worked with Mechanica/Simulate for many years, and I know its limitations. This model is not very large, has straightforward, native geometry, and in my opinion, should not have any issues. In fact, I've completed analysis on this roughly a year ago using WF5 date code M060 without these problems.
Has anyone else experienced such problems?
You may have an external reference that fails when Simulate regenerates the top level and works ok when at the sub assemblies level.
Try changing the regeneration mode to with resolve mode and regenerate the assembly outside of Simulate.
Do you get any errors when you do this? I think you have a component issue that ony shows up at the top level assembly.
Also how much free ram do you have witth the assembly in session?
Good morning Don,
I think I may have accidentely solved my own problem. As I was reviewing my subassemblies, I went through and began suppressing items and toggling back and forth between Simulate and Creo. The one feature that finally made a difference was when I suppressed all the fasteners in my subassemblies. Each subassembly had 40 fastener features, and several hundred auto-generated measures associated with those fasteners. Once I supressed all of those, my problem went away!
Whats strange is I've had models with many more fastener features in it and had no issues. For now, I'm going to have to side-line my trouble shooting and come up with a work-around since I've wasted two days dealing with this!