cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Sketch in creo 9, Project command

Ratthy
6-Contributor

Sketch in creo 9, Project command

I try to understand, why, in Creo 9.0, the the sketching, the Project have been changing. 

The new way to select the line to project is longer to work with it. 

In the past, we chose Sketch Complete loop, and we chose each line one after the other. 

Now, we have to chose one line, chose chain, then chose the Rule-Based, then the rule we want, ok, and to finish to tell the command that we want to create the geometry... 

A work that will normally have taken maybe 30 minutes to extrude in solid a dxf file send by my client, will surely take a few hours.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dear Ratty and all,
The articles 369555 and 369607 have been updated. We hope that gives more background to the reasons and intent of the changed behavior.

In addition, we currently plan to add the "All-curves-in-feature" rule to the chain collection workflow in Creo 9.0.2. This should address the above mentioned workflows.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Ratthy)

Only the product manager can answer the 'why'.  Do either of these articles help with your workflow?

Also check out this video:

Ratthy
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

Thanks for the video. I have made some try. The shift + right clic work perfectly on a 3d part edge. 

But, because my client send me 2d DXF and DWG files, I open in in a part. And I have to sketch all his hole pattern on my model. But with line form a "Curve From File" feature, the shift + right mouse bouton does not work very well. 

Ratthy
6-Contributor

By making test with a selection of 2d Curve from a import, select the fist line, then open immediately this selection windows. This help with the rapidity that the curve are selected. 

Screenshot 2022-05-26 141849.png

Even I got frustrated with this change. I have to select each and every curve in sketch mode. Before it was easy with just one click on the sketch and the whole sketch would get projected. For example it would take a lifecycle to complete a loop of one logo of the particular company, to project on to the surface.

Does anyone have any solution to get rid of this issue and get the older way of projecting sketches?

I have the same problem. I really hope PTC improves the new project tool soon.

Dear Ratty and all,
The articles 369555 and 369607 have been updated. We hope that gives more background to the reasons and intent of the changed behavior.

In addition, we currently plan to add the "All-curves-in-feature" rule to the chain collection workflow in Creo 9.0.2. This should address the above mentioned workflows.

Ratthy
6-Contributor
(To:mneumueller)

Thank you for your answer. 

Can I suggest something in the sketch? In the sheet metal, if we unbend a part , and we want to make a sketch of all the outside of the part, the chain or loop selection stop at the bend, and it will take only the edge of the surface.

Some time this will be useful, when I want to simulate a perforated sheet, but I don't want hole on the edge, because I will punch the hole in house instead of purchased real perforated sheet. This will sketch allow to make a fill pattern, with a border to not have hole on the edge. Now I have to sketch manually all the flat part. 

This not something that I do often, but if you can add this, this will be useful. 

Hi Ratty,

yes, in general we can think about additional useful chain collection rules.

One way to address your requirement with the currently existing Creo tools would be:

1) Create a DRF (datum reference feature) collecting Tangent surfaces (
     Note: the DRF supports the advanced surface collection mechanisms from Flexible Modeling. Not all features will then accept such a collection, but the subsequent copy/paste surfaces does.

mneumueller_0-1661516196725.png

2) Create a copy-surface (copy/paste) based on the DRF surface geometry collection.
    for example by:  right-click selection via "Pick-from-List" / Choose your intent reference / Copy / Paste

mneumueller_1-1661516209699.png

3)  As a result you get a quilt of which you can project the boundary loop into your sketch for the Fill Pattern

mneumueller_2-1661516228116.png

That process should be pretty stable and update upon regen.

Hope that was what you were referring to.

ciancon
3-Visitor

I can't believe the Creo Team thought that this would be a better way to do things.

They've made it more tedious to select an entire loop and added some menu tax if you want to make that loop modifiable.

What once took two clicks, now takes far more clicks and time.

On top of this, they seem to have completely removed the ability to Project Loop from Sketch, which was invaluable in building up the complexity of a sketch without having to do everything all in one go.

Absolutely terrible update,

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ciancon)

Thanks, voted

Top Tags