cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Sketching in drawing

IbrahimTayyab
12-Amethyst

Sketching in drawing

Hello,
As can be seen below, my outer dia and inner dia in the part sketch tool are 208.1 and 173.9 respectively.

IbrahimTayyab_0-1689342053362.png

I have then shelled the extruded model.

IbrahimTayyab_1-1689342376681.png

I want to check if the internal dia of this model is what I want it to be. To do this I make a drawing of the model and using a three tangent make a sketch of the internal dia. The resulting measurement however does not seem to reflect the actual inner dia of the model and instead the corresponding drawing measurement taking the scale into account. Is there a way to find the inner dia via the drawing?

IbrahimTayyab_2-1689342690859.png

I am using the c_drawing template on creo paramteric 9.0 student version

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

use Relate View command. See video.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Sketching in the drawing is always a problem.

Make a sketch in the model so you can constrain. You will get 100% accuracy and you will be sure you are correct.

Then, if you need it, you can show the sketch and dimension from that sketch in the drawing.

Thank you for the help, that was what I thought as well I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was messing up.

If someone encounters a similar problem. I have created the sketch as such in the part.

IbrahimTayyab_0-1689343900935.png

This subsequent sketch is then visible in the drawing and I have gotten the accurate measurement from it, although doing this in the drawing specifically is not necessary as mentioned by Stephen.

IbrahimTayyab_1-1689343952611.png

I have been using sketches for dimensioning and it is quite convenient, however I would like to toggle sketch display, do you know how I could do that?

For example in assemblies it would be quite tedious to do it by hand.

IbrahimTayyab_0-1689409215514.png

@IbrahimTayyab wrote:

I have been using sketches for dimensioning and it is quite convenient, however I would like to toggle sketch display, do you know how I could do that?

For example in assemblies it would be quite tedious to do it by hand.

IbrahimTayyab_0-1689409215514.png

Hi,

use layer to hide Sketch features. When you hide layer you have to Save layer status, too and save part/assembly.

Martin Hanák

Thank you very much, this is quite convenient. 

Best regards,
Ibrahim

Hi,

use Relate View command. See video.

Martin Hanák

You are absolutely correct Martin, this is a much easier method. Thank you very much. 

Best regards,
Ibrahim Tayyab

I do agree that Martin's solution works and I have used it in the past, but generally I use it for non-precise drawing related information, such as expected clearances for welds and required washer flat areas. Any design specific information should be contained in the model.

I always suggest caution when sketching in the drawing, especially when you are needing precise dimensions. 

Everyone's method and experiences are different and these are simply my opinions.

Oh that is quite interesting, I mistakenly assumed that perhaps you were not aware of this method and thus suggested using sketches in the drawing. I will make sure to remember this and double check going forward. Thank you very much for your insight.

Just for information, if you haven't used construction geometry within a sketch, it can also be helpful to get dimensions that may not be necessary for defining the sketch but may be helpful for verifying.

this link has a reasonable overview:

https://cadcamengineering.net/understanding-construction-geometry-theory/

Oh yes, you're definitely right i'm not sure why that didn't occur to me.
Thanks,
Ibrahim

Top Tags