cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Skip a index no. in BOM table after part deletion from assembly

mls_it
6-Contributor

Skip a index no. in BOM table after part deletion from assembly

Hi guys,

I have a released assembly drawing with 8 child level items(refer attachment). I want to revise this assembly to remove item 6 and add a new part item 9. Now when revising an assembly we usually make the required changes directly in assembly model and then go to drawing at a later stage. By then the BOM auto updates and newly added item takes number item 6 even after fixing index.

I have below questions regarding it

1. Is it possible to skip item no. 6 in BOM table during the above process and how?

2. Is it possible to make changes in BOM table before releasing a drawing so when we change anything in assembly later on it should not affect our released drawing bom and its sequence? 

3. Is it possible to strikeout item 6 in BOM when it is removed from the assembly or something similar so that when a user reads the next revision drawing he is able to understand the changes done? 

4.  Any advice on BOM revision best practices for Creo 4.0   

I have gone through a lot of existing post regarding this topic but didn't get an exact solution. I was wondering if we can add a BOM relation to skip an index number after a part is deleted from assembly or probably feed in manually the index no. which needs to be skipped. 

Thanks in advance

SJ

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:mls_it)

In table, repeat region, you can use FIX index to set the item numbers so they don't change during modification.

This also will "skip" an item number but does not leave an empty or blank line.

There is no strike through function.

repeat.jpg

mls_it
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

Hi Stephen, 

I have already tried fix index/region option, it will skip an item number when a part is deleted but it doesn't add newly added part to the end of the BOM. Rather it adds the new part in the same position as deleted part(i.e index position 6).

Fix index/record option is tedious in case of big assemblies since we need to fix index for each part manually. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I know it's tedious, I do it all the time.

There is another option, use a component parameter for the index. It is tedious as well.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Detailing-MBD-MBE/Create-a-BOM-index-between-Simplified-reps/m-p/479134/highlight/true#M6489

ghansen
11-Garnet

I am not an expert on "fix". But maybe "unfix" region will do?

I seldom use fix. With region attributes = No Dup/Level it sorts per feature number.

So when I assemle the components in the right order the table will be in the same order. Don't know if this is possible for you.

KR G

JM_10432119
5-Regular Member

I know I'm late. But I'm trying to do some BOM stuff too and came across this.

For you the best solution may be to make an empty part in your model assembly (description: - or void, material: - or void) where item 6 would be. Then it would effectively be striked out. It sounds like you have assembly driving the BOM, I'd be interested in hearing how that works. Messing around with fixing indexes is a hassle and would confuse anyone else who touches the drawing.

Top Tags