cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Split BOM balloon

TracyWillis
5-Regular Member

Split BOM balloon

Hello All - Is there a quick and easy way to create a split BOM balloon?
One where you have 2 lines of text within the same bubble and a horizontal line separating the values / rows.
I have a couple hundred balloons of that type that I need to add to a drawing. Hoping that I don't have to create notes and then sketch in the circle and the separator line for each... Over.. and over.. x 200.
Never done this before but I've seen that style balloon on lots of drawings... So I'm hopeful that there is an efficient way to get the look we need.
I did try setting DTL option default_bom_balloon_type = quantity_split_circle but that didn't work.

Anybody got a good idea how to do these?

Tw

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
TracyWillis
5-Regular Member
(To:TracyWillis)

Forgot to mention that I'm not using a repeat region BOM table.

Tw

That DTL option is specific to repeat region BOM tables.

You have two options.

First option

Use the symbol normally associated with the repeat region split balloons as a normal symbol. Without a repeat region they will still need to have the values entered manually.

It's found at <install location=">\CreoParametric\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M090\symbols\report\bomballoon
The name of the symbol is qty_ref_bln.sym

Second option

Set the DTL option you tried earlier.
Put a repeat region BOM table on your drawing.
Show all BOM balloons.
Create a layer for your BOM table.
Put table on the layer.
Hide the layer.

I'm also interested in this work around Don but I don't understand the process you're describing, are you saying we copy theqty_ref_bln.sym to another folder? At what point do you get to choose the ballon note style, I can't see an option in the menu manager when setting up the note? Is it in the properties after the note has been created?

You'll have to copy it to the pro_symbol_dir location (set in config.pro) and if it were me I'd rename it as well. (You could of course copy it to any location, but then you'll have to browse to the location when inserting the symbol.)

After that, from the Annotate tab you'll insert a custom symbol onto your drawing and choose that symbol. While inserting you can choose the Variable Text tab in the Custom Drawing Symbol window and enter the index number and quantity.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'choose the balloon note style'. You choose it just like any other symbol.

If I want a balloon not driven by a repeat region I've always used the 'balloon note' under Annotate tab > Annotations > Balloon Note or Table tab > Balloons > Balloon note, certainly hadn't thought of using symbols for balloons

That method doesn't allow split balloons, which is what Tracy was looking for.
TracyWillis
5-Regular Member
(To:TracyWillis)

I used Don's option one:
It worked very well. Copied and Renamed qty_ref_bln.sym to avoid any possible conflicts.
Had to have the Admin add the renamed file into our symbol directory. After that - No problems.
That particular file has the variable text on both the top and bottom rows and you can entry a quantity or a word on either line.
When placing the symbol you can also attach it with a leader.... Worked beautifully.

Thank you to all who replied.
Have a good weekend

Tw
Top Tags