cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Splitting a Freestyle/Curvature model across its tangency

jwagh
17-Peridot

Splitting a Freestyle/Curvature model across its tangency

Below are some pictures of a rough freestyle model. The question can also pertain to any high-curvature/spline model.

How can we split the model to create top/bottom parts where the split follows the side curvature tangency?

Side profile:

11-12-2015 10-21-28 AM.bmp

Top Profile:

11-12-2015 10-21-33 AM.bmp

Thanks!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Joseph,

if you have access to a seat of the mold package you can create a silhouette curve. if not there was a conversation a few clicks back on how to use a surface copy and the trim tool to get the silhouette edge, which works great, do a "silhouette curve" search here.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Joseph,

if you have access to a seat of the mold package you can create a silhouette curve. if not there was a conversation a few clicks back on how to use a surface copy and the trim tool to get the silhouette edge, which works great, do a "silhouette curve" search here.

silhouette trim worked... thanks!

Now that I got the closed loop, all tangent curve, is there an easy way to create a surface through it without using multiple boundary blends?

Hi Joseph, not sure what you are trying to accomplish

you could use the extend tool and extend the edges to planes

or you could use the edges and extrude as a surface

See below pics. Now that the quilt is trimmed, I would like the bottom portion to be thickened with the parting line surface flat so it can mate with the other half. Thicken doesn't make it flat, even using the controlled option in the Y direction. I could cut it using a sweep after the thicken, but I was hoping for something a little more elegant.

11-13-2015 9-37-22 AM.bmp

11-13-2015 9-39-01 AM.bmp

Top Tags