cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Spur gear exact model

Dom_CHENTRE
12-Amethyst

Spur gear exact model

Hi,

I have to design some teeth of a spur gear.
Depending on module, number of teeth and so on.

I need to model exact shape, because it will be manufacture by rapid prototyping.
The other gear I need to drive will be buy.
So I can't make just an approximate part, just for cosmetic purpose. 
Are there any parametric models on the web, or some tutorials ?

Thanks,
Dominique

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Dom_CHENTRE)

Google for involute profile spur gear. There is a lot of info for them and a lot of models available. I'm not sure I would just trust any model I would download though but you could use one to help check/verify your work.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Dom_CHENTRE)

Google for involute profile spur gear. There is a lot of info for them and a lot of models available. I'm not sure I would just trust any model I would download though but you could use one to help check/verify your work.

If you're "rapid prototyping" it as claimed (I assume you're using an FDM printed and plastic), then you will never get anywhere near the precision of a metal hobbed gear, so needing to have an "exact shape" is kind of absurd.

It's not made using FDM but a very precise prototyping machine.

Gear teeth hobbed (machined) from metal are far more exact than you'll get using any rapid prototyping machine.  If you're trying to make a set of metal gears, best just to spend the money and have them hobbed correctly.

Top Tags