cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Start Parts

ptc-4582012
1-Newbie

Start Parts

How and where can I create a start part to use on a new program? I've used start parts before, but never had to create one!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

... also you can start your Start Parts from existing models/assembly - it is easiest way how to create the Start Part (model, assembly have all necessary informations - units, relations, parameters, layers etc.). You can edit/add/delete new information for your Start Part and save as new.

Do not forget set configuration option for Start Parts (configuration_option and path_to_start_part):

- for solid part:

template_solidpart D:\start_models\start_part.prt

- for sheetmetal part:

template_sheetmetalpart D:\start_models\start_smtpart.prt

- for assembly:

template_designasm D:\start_models\start_asm.asm

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Well, if you have to start from scratch, you'll want to add the default datum planes, default coordinate system, set the units, possible set a default material, add the apprpriate parameters, layers (I suggest using rules), relations, views, etc.. It's a lot of work, but worth it.

... also you can start your Start Parts from existing models/assembly - it is easiest way how to create the Start Part (model, assembly have all necessary informations - units, relations, parameters, layers etc.). You can edit/add/delete new information for your Start Part and save as new.

Do not forget set configuration option for Start Parts (configuration_option and path_to_start_part):

- for solid part:

template_solidpart D:\start_models\start_part.prt

- for sheetmetal part:

template_sheetmetalpart D:\start_models\start_smtpart.prt

- for assembly:

template_designasm D:\start_models\start_asm.asm

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Thank you Vladimir! Your answer was very helpful!

Ken, You are welcome

Good luck.

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Certainly you can take that approach and delete all features, etc., but I would rather start from scratch since I don't 100% believe that there aren't "remnants" left in the file. Model associations within windchill, external references, etc. I'd rather start with a clean new part, with nothing in it as EVERY part you make from now on would have these "remnants" in there if there was an issue.

Also, I've read that it's best to start from scratch every new major revision anyways, as start parts from, say v2001 may have issues when you use it as a start part in creo. I'm going to redo mine when I get the chance.

I have also made start parts that contain a first sketch based on what I'll be modeling:

• Front Extrude
  • Top Extrude
  • Right Extrude

which include center lines for symmetry as well as:

• Front Revolve
  • Top Revolve
  • Side Revolve

which includes on centerline and one geometry centerline for the revolve feature.

Kris, Your start part would then be unique to that particular part if it contained a sketch. For your next part, you would need to create a new start part, wouldn't you?

For the sketch I draw a visible square that can easlity be deleted once I open it and a Save As Copy can be used to save the new part.

Kris,

Do you find that you need to set your working directory to the directory that your start parts & current_session.pro are all located?

No....our Pro is started with a batch file for our company, which starts in /ProLocal. I can just click browse and go to the start part I want in the second screen after you start a new part.

I have created start parts for most common steel shapes. For example I have one for angle iron. it ask you for angle thickness, stem one and stem two height, and overall length.

Top Tags