cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Strange Xsec colors

EWF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Strange Xsec colors

Hey guys,

This has me stumped. I have an an extruded object. I took a cross section of it so I could inspect the insides. The appearance on the inside (light blue) is different from the outside (brushed steel).

I tried applying the appearance to both the intent surface and the part with no luck. This only happens when I take a cross section. If I extrude through the component, the internal colors show up just fine.

I should point out that the solid light blue that shows in the cross section is the same color as shown in the MODEL APPEARANCE EDITOR in the PROPERTIES box under COLOR.

Any tips to change the light blue back to brushed steel would be much appreciated. Clearly, I changed the defaults somehow.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:EWF)

Only the defined color of the model will show in the capped part of the cross section, not the applied texture map.

If it is critical, you can try a temporary extrude cut and this will show the texture map because it is now a true part surface.

I have to do this in many of my assemblies where I needed shaded sections in drawings. I create a next level assembly and use an extrude cut on the entire assembly model. I can then change each cut surface to a "sectioned color" I want much like the show-n-tell models machinist love to make out of transmissions and such.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Only the defined color of the model will show in the capped part of the cross section, not the applied texture map.

If it is critical, you can try a temporary extrude cut and this will show the texture map because it is now a true part surface.

I have to do this in many of my assemblies where I needed shaded sections in drawings. I create a next level assembly and use an extrude cut on the entire assembly model. I can then change each cut surface to a "sectioned color" I want much like the show-n-tell models machinist love to make out of transmissions and such.

EWF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:TomD.inPDX)

I think you are right. I was doing that originally, and I think that's why I am noticing this "change" in the appearance.

On ProE 2001, I don't recall them having a view manager, so you'd have to do an assembly cut to view the cross section if you didn't want to do it through a drawing.

I think when I finally discovered the view manager in creo, I didn't notice that it messed up texture maps. After these years I must have "thought" I always used the view manager for this project, when in fact I didn't.

That's extremely lame though, because in the end, a defined color is not much different from a texture map. Clearly, there is a very obvious work around that is in some ways more flexible than the view manager itself.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Welcome to the forum

Top Tags