cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Stumped!!

cdown
4-Participant

Stumped!!

Guru's, I have a DXF file of a sketch which I would like to extrude as single entities, i.ei I just want to extrude the outline of the stetch.

I have imported the DXF file into a drawing and then exported as an IGE's but when I come to create a curve it says there is too many entities...

I have done this before when I've joined the entities together but can't remember how.

Also is this the best method of creating an outline extrusion?

cheers in advance

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
mjenkins
5-Regular Member
(To:cdown)

The method I like to use is:

File>Open

Part>OK

This will make the dxf into a curve in a blank part. You can then use the edges as a loop and if there is a section that won't close up, you can trim it or manually fix it by adding entities.

In Reply to Colin Down:

Guru's, I have a DXF file of a sketch which I would like to extrude as single entities, i.ei I just want to extrude the outline of the stetch.

I have imported the DXF file into a drawing and then exported as an IGE's but when I come to create a curve it says there is too many entities...

I have done this before when I've joined the entities together but can't remember how.

Also is this the best method of creating an outline extrusion?

cheers in advance

This probably isn't a direct answer to your question, but more of a method I
use. Typically if I import a DXF or other curve into a part I will use that
curve feature as a template and recreate the segments of the curve I need. In
some cases where the imported curve is very busy (lots of entities) I will even
recreate the new curves in numerous curve features to keep my new curves to
simple sketches. Once I have all my curves recreated with non-depended features
(noreferences to the import curve)I will use those edges in my geometry
feature (extrude, offset, flat, etc). Hope this helps.

Mark A. Peterson
Sr Design Engineer
Igloo Products Corp
-

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Are your curves being converted to a bunch of straight line segments. There are settings to prevent that behavior. Don't remember what they are off the top of my head.

David Haigh
mjenkins
5-Regular Member

Actually, I think what you are asking is highlight the entities and go to Edit>Group>Draft Group:

I would import the DXF as a part. Obviously the curve has been broken down into many small entities, hence sketch can't use the entire curve.
In the past I have had the curved approximated in Adobi Illistrator and a igs file output. That came through very clean and nice. Alternitvly you can approximate the curve in sketched yourself by tracing over it. Or you can extrude parts of the curve as surfaces, merge them together, cap the ends and solidify.

Regards
Kevin

I too have been seeing poor translations from and todxf. But discovered if
imported and exported as dwg the translations are a lot cleaner.

David Brainsky
Certified PTC Instructor
Chula Vista, Ca. 91910
gkbeer
1-Newbie

Set the accuracy of the model higher, like .000001, before importing
something like that into a part.

Top Tags