cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Surface desing- smooth radius corner

CAD_user
13-Aquamarine

Surface desing- smooth radius corner

Hello,

I've an imported surface, that I need to make some changes.

Initial stateInitial state

desired statedesired state

Generally in other CAD system (for example CATIA). I could do the follwing.

Make a copy of the edges, and them make a translation to them.Make a copy of the edges, and them make a translation to them.

Then, make a spline between the translated edges, and make a trimThen, make a spline between the translated edges, and make a trimfinally, wtih the fill surface command, I pick the border of the surface, make a tangencial constraint between the original surface, and the new one, and the surface is closedfinally, wtih the fill surface command, I pick the border of the surface, make a tangencial constraint between the original surface, and the new one, and the surface is closed

Now I need to replicate those steps in Creo, but I don't know how to do it. Remember, i'm working with imported stp files, all the surfaces are dead.

8 REPLIES 8

You can accomplish this in the Style feature. See Offset Curve, Curve from Surface, Drop Curve, and/or Curve on Surface for the curves. Then, N-Sided surface will be used for the patch. 

Thanks

Where I can find the n-sided

The "N Sided Patch" command is not in the ribbon, at least in Creo 2, you need to search for it using the command search.

Capture.JPG

You also may need to set the config option " allow_anatomic_features"  to yes.

I was able to create it without using style, I've attached my Creo 2 model.  I also found that trying to create the patch in one step resulted in unwanted wrinkles. I created half, mirrored it, merged and then solidified.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Actually for what Doug is referring to you also have to set the config option, 

enable_obsoleted_features to yes

But that's really old school. You can just do it in the Style feature now, which may work out better for you.

@Greg_McMurray wrote:

Actually for what Doug is referring to you also have to set the config option, 

enable_obsoleted_features to yes

But that's really old school. You can just do it in the Style feature now, which may work out better for you.

Good catch on the config option, I had forgotten that one.

I assumed that's what you meant when you said N sided surface. I've not done much with Style / ISDX, I never had much luck with grasping the methodology.

Your method assumes that they have an ISDX license.  I do not anymore and they may not either.

--
LinkedIn

Yes apologies for the confusion. I was using the old lingo, while I meant to describe new functionality.

I can see how the semi-parametric, super-feature nature of ISDX would seem like a somewhat clunky add-on to what we knew and loved about Pro/CREO. The best part of it, though, are the curve tools. The surfaces really just take care of themselves. In fact, I think if you look at it as mostly a curve generating feature, then it gets easier to understand. 

It's just another way of thinking, more free flowing and less constrained.  I never had the time to dedicate to mastering it.  Plus, I was playing with it back in WF4 or earlier and it was painful then.  Additionally, most of our clients wouldn't know what to do with it if they had the add on, so using it for production ready files (my expertise) seemed a bit irresponsible.  I changed jobs a couple of years ago and we don't have it here.

--
LinkedIn

From what I've seen, the N-sided mesh is better and more robust than the style feature.  In my experiments, it produced a smoother surface.  Yes, you have to set certain options, and then manually add it to your ribbon, and it IS a very "Olde School" interface, but it works well.

Top Tags