cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Surfacing Help, 5 Sided Surface and Continuity

Dan_Harlan
1-Newbie

Surfacing Help, 5 Sided Surface and Continuity

I'm having trouble creating good surfaces for a fan shroud. It is for converging from a rectangular duct to two side by side axial fans.

First problem I am having is getting second order (C2, G2...) contious surfaces. What's the best method for this?

Second problem is creating the saddle like surface between the two axial fans. Have tried various approaches, but no can do.

Attached is an image of the curves and a couple surfaces I have been able to create (though not C2 surfaces). Also attached is the Creo Parametric 2.0 file I've been working in which should make it fairly obvious what I'm trying to do.

TIA,

~Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No problem about 5-side surface in style feature. Trouble with boundary blend but there are some tricks. See if my solution can be good. If you need i can give you a solution without style features...

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

what's about making the top circled and the rest to the edge flat?

Brgs, Michael1.JPG

Like this

2.JPG

That would decrease the efficiancy of the shroud. I don't know how much, I plan to run FEA once I have it modelled to optimize, but I do know it would be measurable.

I have found some info on N-Sided Surface command that is not in the ribbon. But the same reference says that those types of surfaces are not as desireable. Not sure why.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:Dan_Harlan)

I was recently at a user's group meeting and during a tips and tricks, someone took a section like that and broke it in half to get to four sided surfaces. He also made the two new surfaces continuous to each other. Not my background, but he made it work quite well.

Not sure it will help but this blog seems to me to be a good resource for surfacing in Pro/E.

http://learn.lboro.ac.uk/ludata/cd/cad/mod_level2/surfacing1.htm

(Loughborough Design School. © Sean Kerslake 2011)

No problem about 5-side surface in style feature. Trouble with boundary blend but there are some tricks. See if my solution can be good. If you need i can give you a solution without style features...

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Style surfaces are fine. Thanks, I'll take a look and let you know. Greatly appreciate it!

Ok. You can add more curves to controle it better. Good evening from Italy!

I don't have the style extension so I cannot work with that, although that should make it easy.

I did come up with this using a C2 round. I am not sure which curve you want to follow (red arrow).

Also, what are you considering for the "saddle"?

Below is a boundary blend of the face; and a C2 round using a curve (circle) to follow.

What do you want to do with the square corners? This will create a crease. Can the corners have a round where it goes flat prior to corner?

fan_duct.PNG

attached one file..please have a look.

Unfortunately i can't open. TRY-OUT edition file....

Here an example with a spline close to the edge.

3.JPG

That's kinda what I was thinking. Boundary blend with curvature works pretty well for that.

fan_ductII.PNG

Thanks all. A great many helpful ideas.

Finally was able to get back to this. Deleted all the curves and surfaces I had tried before. Went in, create a style feature, curves and then surfaces and everything worked perfectly the first time through!

Hmm, wonder why it didn't the previous tries. Maybe referencing non style curves or something? Initial look at reflection curves look good, but not sure about curvature yet. File attached if interested.

SNAG-0383.png

성신
1-Newbie
(To:성신)

Good luck!

Top Tags