cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Symbol with text of variable height

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Symbol with text of variable height

I'm on a symbol kick at the moment. I am trying to create a custom symbol like the one in the attached pic:
gward-+2014-06-17+08-33-55.jpg

Variable text in the bottom and top half. The top half is \dim\, so I can pick a dimension on the drawing to insert into the circle. In this case I want the dimension of "Ø.06 [1.5]" (the latter being mm of course), but I really want this dimension inside the top half of the circle. We don't want this unweidly dimension hanging out in space like it is doing.

I want the circle to stay the same size but I want this symbol to have the text shrink-to-fit.... you know, like in a $100 Microsoft Office Excel speadsheet cell. The way it works at the moment, the text height drives the circle diameter, but I want it to be the other way around. I'm sure my $15,000+ Pro/E software can make this happen too, I just can't seem to work out how and I've been all over the Help files and the discussion boards here. Does anyone know how to do this? And yes, I know the dimension will be small but that's okay.

It's Creo/Elements/WF5.0.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12

Hey Grahame! Long time no post! Hope you've been well!

Ummm, that's an interesting one. I've played around with symbols, and it IS kind of cumbersome, but lemme see if I can get some time to look at this.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:Patriot_1776)

Hey Frank. Things are good. New job, same ol' ProE....

Well.....hope at least the JOB is better! LOLZ...

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

I just read this on my ProE Help Center:

Calculating the Size of Annotation Components

Example B

This example explains how the proportion value is calculated for non-Text-height based annotation symbols that have an editable symbol height smaller than the calculated text height and the effect on annotation component sizes due to a change in the symbol height.

You what?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:GrahameWard)

A very helpful answer.

....Imagine my surprise to find out you now work at our corporate office!

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

Small world, huh?

Yup! Hopefully one of us will be able to travel to the other's facility and finally meet face-to-face!

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member

I love skiing. Just saying.

Well, we had an EPIC year here last winter.....just sayin'.....

Just how microscopic do you wish the text to be?

If it can be tiny some of the time perhaps it can be that tiny all of the time.

I used to count on improvements in terms of releases, now I think they are better numbered in terms of re-brandings. I think 2 or 3 rebrandings will be required before drawing symbols get an overhaul.

GrahameWard
5-Regular Member
(To:dschenken)

David Schenken wrote:

Just how microscopic do you wish the text to be?

And yes, I know the dimension will be small but that's okay.

If it can be tiny some of the time perhaps it can be that tiny all of the time.

I used to count on improvements in terms of releases, now I think they are better numbered in terms of re-brandings. I think 2 or 3 rebrandings will be required before drawing symbols get an overhaul.

By that time ProE will be called "Spod from the Planet Thrng." It'll be like that computer that Tony Stark uses in Iron Man, except Drawing Options will still be a bloody text file.

Some perspective is needed. You know, PTC.... all I want is some numbers inside a circle. And no, I don't want it in persepective.

Top Tags