cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Thicken face part - problems

ViktorZ
2-Guest

Thicken face part - problems

For a certain rather complex sheet metal shape we usually start from 2 seperate sketches. Between these sketches we'll draw 3D lines and inserting faces. Once the faces are inserted we'll thicken the face part. We now have our solid, but to make it a working sheet metal part we need to have the radii and consistent thickness.

So we remove the edges and then add them with a radius to ensure the part will unfold nicely. Because of this way of working we need to join them again, using Boolean Unite.

Lately this last step fails. When I unite the parts (that seem to be normal solids) it seems to lose some faces and turn into a face part again (turning blue, rather than staying grey). Also some faces are missing, showing just a small part of the part.

Am I missing a step? I feel like the faces aren't joined properly, but wouldn't know what step I missed..

edit: when I thicken part I have to uncheck 'ortho faces' or it will give me sigsev error and I cannot continue

Another edit: after messing around some more I have found this as a temporary solution: I think the shape is too complex for thicken with ortho faces. So I just made a bunch of different faces, and all make them in different parts by thicken. This way I can check ortho faces without getting an error message. Afterwards I join them with boolean.

A better solution is definitely welcome because this is very slow working.. 🙂

1 REPLY 1
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:ViktorZ)

@ViktorZ 

Do you have any part to share? That may help in understanding the issue ... 

Top Tags