cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Trouble dimensioning from detailed view

EthanT24
5-Regular Member

Trouble dimensioning from detailed view

Good morning,

It seems that I am having issues creating a dimension from an object in a detailed view to the centerline from the parent view. Anyone know why and how to troubleshoot?

The views are up-to-date so I know that isn't the issue. The only way I can get it to work is by using annotations which, even then, doesn't always give me the dimension I need.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:EthanT24)

I get that when the entity I am dimensioning is somehow not "appropriate" for the view. Most of the time it's an axis like you are dimensioning to, I don't really understand so my explantion would be bad.

Can you dimension to a midpoint or datum or something else that is coincident with the axis? That's usually how I get it to move to the other view.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Are you trying to create the dimension you have circled in the picture? I usually create those dimensions in the "main" view and then use the move to view on the dimension to the desired location.

You generally can't create a dimension picking entities in 2 different views.

If the dimension is in the model, you can usually show the dimension from the model.

EthanT24
5-Regular Member
(To:StephenW)

Yes, the circled parts are what I am trying to dimension to. We actually tried to use the "move to view" option yesterday but an error message comes up that says "Cannot move to selected view..."

EthanT24
5-Regular Member

Also, for showing the dimension from the model, the dimension appears as red but does not update to yellow when the draft is updated. Thus, creating differing line weight when printed. How can I update these dimensions after showing from model annotation?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I would think you just need to repaint or regen the views. I don't have a solution if that doesn't work.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I get that when the entity I am dimensioning is somehow not "appropriate" for the view. Most of the time it's an axis like you are dimensioning to, I don't really understand so my explantion would be bad.

Can you dimension to a midpoint or datum or something else that is coincident with the axis? That's usually how I get it to move to the other view.

EthanT24
5-Regular Member
(To:StephenW)

Thanks. I dimensioned from datum plane and it all worked out fine.

Top Tags