cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Unable to Retrieve Existing Windchill Part

jtruitt
1-Newbie

Unable to Retrieve Existing Windchill Part

I'm exporting assemblies from another workstation to mine to work on them. The assemblies are a mix of new and existing parts (both stations are using the same directory). The export creates all the parts and when I import on my end I set it to use the common space parts and create the proper new ones. Now I did this on 1 assembly and it worked flawlessly, then I tried it on a 2nd and it started causing problems. The assemblies were broke because 2 of the 5 parts that exist already won't retrieve from the common space. I did a series of updating, redownloading, deleting workspaces, and checking my cache for anything with the same file name and nothing worked. Any idea of how to get these parts to open?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jtruitt
1-Newbie
(To:lfox)

Oh I suppose I didn't actually mention why I wasn't just checking in from the original workstation. The original work was done by someone relatively unfamiliar with how to work with windchill, the workspace was destroyed, ghost files, out of date, modified standard family tables of standard parts, and tons of file name conflicts so I did what I could to fix the assemblies and get them on my end to recreate the drawing.

I did finally figure it out however! I just needed to go to my server manager in Creo and clear the cache from there (I was unfamiliar with this command). So something in my cache was just screwed up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:jtruitt)

Have you tried putting the assembly into a separate folder by itself and opening that in a new workspace? That will make Creo download the parts needed on the fly from Windchill. Any parts it can't find, it will prompt you to find. At that point you can browse to another backup folder where the rest of the components are.

jtruitt
1-Newbie
(To:Chris3)

Yeah still no success. I just can't open up the part at all on my workstation it seems. Any idea on what I can do?

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Assuming both stations use the same version and release/datecode of Creo, are you saying that you can open the parts from Common space, but they aren't opened when the assembly is opened from a folder? Have you used import in Workspace to import the assembly and any parts not already in Common space?

lfox
4-Participant

Maybe I'm not fully understanding what you're doing, but it looks to me like you're going about this all wrong. You do not need to export/import anything to folders outside of your Windchill server. If your two workstations are using the same common space, you can just check in the new and/or changed parts on one workstation and access them on the other one through the common space. Why are you doing the importing/exporting manually? If your only goal is to work on the same parts on two different workstations, Windchill should handle all of that for you.

That being said, you can do it manually. BUT, you have to make sure that any parts you plan to let Windchill pull from the common space have been checked in at least once by one of the workstations. If they've never been checked in from the workstation that created them, the other workstation will not have access to them.

jtruitt
1-Newbie
(To:lfox)

Oh I suppose I didn't actually mention why I wasn't just checking in from the original workstation. The original work was done by someone relatively unfamiliar with how to work with windchill, the workspace was destroyed, ghost files, out of date, modified standard family tables of standard parts, and tons of file name conflicts so I did what I could to fix the assemblies and get them on my end to recreate the drawing.

I did finally figure it out however! I just needed to go to my server manager in Creo and clear the cache from there (I was unfamiliar with this command). So something in my cache was just screwed up.

Top Tags