cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Updating Existing Weld Annotations with New User-Defined Weld Symbol

engineerrogers
4-Participant

Updating Existing Weld Annotations with New User-Defined Weld Symbol

Hello,

I created a working weld symbol for Creo Pro/WELD. It works exactly as I want it to in new assemblies, but in any assembly with existing welds, it is the old Pro/WELD symbol.

I have deleted the default fillet.sym in:

C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 4.0\M060\Common Files\symbols\library_syms\weldsymlib\ansi_weld\simple\

This was replaced with my own fillet.sym, and again, it works great in new assemblies and drawings.

Does anybody know how to get the symbol to update for assemblies with existing weld?

4 REPLIES 4

I don't think the symbols do update. You will have to delete the old ones and recreate them with your new symbol.

I think you are correct. I tried everything I could think of, but it looks like it requires deleting my old weld and recreating it. Better make sure next time that my symbols are perfect, and I never make any revisions whatsoever... 

Updating is possible.

As its a long time ago you asked this, are you still interested? If yes, pleas let me know (by giving a reaction on this topic, then I get a notification).

A weld annotation has also a version number. So the name of the weld annotation is followed by a number (like iso_fillet.sym.1). When you make the new weld annotation a higher number than the one that is in the model, it asks if you want to update the annotation. The tricky part is that the version number currently used is not shown so sometimes you have to do a bit of trial and error (because when the new annotation has a lower or equal version number it doesn't update). A workaround can be that you make the version number of the new annotation .100 for example.

1. Open the model which weld annotations needs to be updated.
  2. Open the annotations tab.
  3. Fold out the "Symbol" pulldown by clicking on the small triangle next to "Symbol", and choose for "Symbol gallery".
  4. Click on "Symbol Dir"
  5. Select the folder where the weld symbols are located ("<CREO INSTALLATION FOLDER>\Common Files\symbols\library_syms\weldsymlib\iso_weld" for the ISO weld symbols)
  6. Click "Open" (doesn't open something but it sets the right folder).
  7. Fold out the "Symbol" pulldown by clicking on the small triangle next to "Symbol", and choose for "Custom Symbol".
  8. Click "Browse" (fold out the "Symbol name" list to see which weld annotations are available in the model)
  9. Select the weld annotation symbol you want to update (remember that the version needs to be higher than the current one).
  10. Click on "Yes" to update the symbol (see screenshot)

Top Tags