cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Uploading latest versions of models & drawing to remote server

JohnK55
5-Regular Member

Uploading latest versions of models & drawing to remote server

Hi,

I'm working on a project for a client & I need to upload all the latest versions of the models & drawings I have created to a shared directory. There are hundreds of parts & I don't want to have to go through each one & delete all the old versions . Is there an easy way to do this?

6 REPLIES 6

Hi, 

Try using the Save a Backup command. It will allow you to backup all of your data to a new directory of your choice. It will only grab the latest version of everything. 

Here's a link to the PTC documentation

Ty

JohnK55
5-Regular Member
(To:Tdaugherty)

I thought about trying that but I would have to do it for each part, drawing & assembly & there are hundreds of them!

I remember using "purge" to get rid of previous versions but the command prompt doesnt recognise it!

Hi, 

A few comments on backups:

If you backup an assembly, it will also backup the components within the assembly. Drawings remain a challenge as they are not saved during the backup process.If you back up a drawing, it will back up the components referenced by the drawing. If you had a multi-sheet drawing for the assembly and its components, a backup would grab everything. Single sheet drawings make the backup process more tedious but they make a lot of other things easier.

Purge seems like a good route to go here if you're dealing with a large number of separate files. Maybe check out this tool:

http://www.proesite.com/newframe.htm?/UTIL/creopurge.htm

Ty

The command-line purge is definitely the way to go but relies on environment variables being correct so can have issues.  Olaf's purge utility is much better if you can access it.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:JohnK55)

There is a current version of purge.exe, which (on my system) is located in

C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 4.0\M090\Common Files\x86e_win64\obj

As to whether or not it works like in olden times, I don't know. We tend to have a purge.exe that gets copied to each main project directory, that is, I kid no not, from 1998. It's just a dumb file utility program, but still, there aren't many 1990s programs that I know of that still get used much

JohnK55
5-Regular Member
(To:KenFarley)

Thanks All,

I downloaded the Creopurge utility & it seems to work ok!

Top Tags