cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Use Previous not working Creo 2.0-m060

davehaigh
11-Garnet

Use Previous not working Creo 2.0-m060

I'm modeling a three legged stand, and I defined a datum "on the fly" at an angle to build one of the legs, I now want to add a support member to that same plane.

When I picked Use Previous in the sketch orientation the sketch did not orient to the plane I used for the last sketch. It went to the front view.

What I get when I picked Use Previous:
[cid:image001.png@01CE70E5.C61F3A00]

Previous Sketch orientation:
[cid:image002.png@01CE70E5.C61F3A00]
David Haigh
Phone: 925-424-3931
Fax: 925-423-7496
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
7000 East Ave, L-362
Livermore, CA 94550

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Also, I tried selecting the buried datum in the previous feature as the sketch plane, no luck there either.

David Haigh

Embedded datums can't be reused directly, but you can drag them out and then reuse them.

As I recall, selecting 'use previous' when the previous sketch plane was a make datum never did work as expected, or at least hasn't in a long time. It selects the 'previous' previous, if you will. The plane used before last. I'm currently using WF4 and I did a little test and that is how it seems to work there. At one time it may have re-made an equivalent datum on the fly, but I don't remember.

Long ago, back with those embedded datums were truly embedded and invisible in the tree, it may have actually reused the prior make datum. It's been a long time since I've looked into this.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I had to pull the datum out of the feature it was embedded in, for the "Use Previous" pick to work.

What's with that? This is now how I remember ProE working.

[cid:image003.png@01CE70E8.0EE84630]

DTM2 used to be under Extrude 3, Section 1.

Why go to the trouble of building datums on the fly if you can't use them in subsequent features?

David Haigh

That is one of a few reasons why I never make any datums on the fly. They get hidden and can't be reused unless pulled out of the dedicated feature. Take the time to back out and create a simple datum and name the feature if going to be used for reference in another feature. Similar to creating sweeps where I will create my trajectory and section as separate features and then select or reference them in the sweep feature and thus they are easily visible for editing without going into the sweep feature. Just my 2 cents.

Mark A. Peterson
Design Engineer
Varel International
-

-----End Original Message-----

Hi Folks,
I had forgotten about Datums on the fly. I remember these particularly
before there was an axial pattern 🙂 It was a staple along with internal
sketches back in my R-teens years.

Nowadays I only use external datums for the reasons mentioned but over the
last few years I have also come to realise the advantages of external
sketches and still find myself creating internal ones by habit.

I guess the tips and tricks of much older school ProE was to keep the
feature count as low as possible by using embedded sub-features and there
may have been a use then. Not sure that there are any now unless you think
of it for tree aesthetics. Happy to hear comments for why the embedded
features are better in some way.

Regards,

*Brent Drysdale*
*Senior Design Engineer*
Tait Communications

I admit to being an "Old School" ProE user, and for the last couple years focused mostly on admin, so picking up a few design jobs to keep the saw from getting totally rusty is a good thing.

After I got into this, I couldn't successfully pattern the leg using the created datum anyway. Making datums on the fly for rotational patterns is so engrained in me that I forget there about pattern from axis.

Time for this old dog to learn the new tricks. I started playing around with ProE late version 4, took my first class in Boston the day PTC went public. 24 years....how time flies.

[cid:image001.png@01CE70F3.75C34B60]

David Haigh

Welcome to our nightmare.
((((Done)Done)Done)Done Return)

Tim P. Cooper
Lead Designer
GE Oil & Gas
North American ATO

T +1 281 878 6168
M +1 281 796 9038
F +1 281 715 4116
-<">mailto:->
www.ge.com

'Back in the day' [Ugh], the make datum would get absorbed in the feature never to be seen again. There was no way to 'expand' the feature in the tree to find the datum plane. Unless you knew the name of the plane or could see it on screen, you couldn't find it.

I'm not sure when they started making them visible and grouping them (WF1 maybe?), but even then they couldn't be used or removed from the feature group. Now, with the ability to pull them out, I find them quite useful. If I need a one-time datum, I make it on the fly and it's grouped within the feature that used it. Handy and keeps the tree tidy. If the design intent changes and I need that datum for another feature, it's a simple thing to drag it out of the group for reuse.

I feel the same about internal sketches, but I wish they too could be dragged out if they needed to be reused. There is a definite advantage to having the sketch inside the feature. It keeps the tree clean, it keeps the two (sketch & feature) together making design intent clearer and it makes it possible to redefine the sketch from within the feature dashboard. With an external sketch, if you're in the dashboard and need to modify the sketch as well, you need to exit and then go find it.

--
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
dgallup
4-Participant
(To:davehaigh)

I admit to being very old school. I use internal sketches 98% of the time and internal datums any time I need a rotational pattern. At least with WF4, you still need an angle datum dimension in your pattern to get the PCD axis to show up on a drawing, that doesn't work for radial patterns. Maybe Creo has fixed that, I'm just starting to play with it.

I saw a demo of R1, by the time I got Pro/E installed it was at R2. Went to the first PTC users group meeting in Waltham in 1990.

In Reply to David Haigh:

I admit to being an "Old School" ProE user, and for the last couple years focused mostly on admin, so picking up a few design jobs to keep the saw from getting totally rusty is a good thing.

After I got into this, I couldn't successfully pattern the leg using the created datum anyway. Making datums on the fly for rotational patterns is so engrained in me that I forget there about pattern from axis.

Time for this old dog to learn the new tricks. I started playing around with ProE late version 4, took my first class in Boston the day PTC went public. 24 years....how time flies.

David Haigh
Top Tags