cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Using Repeat Regions to show Assembly BOM in 3D drawings

kramarao
1-Newbie

Using Repeat Regions to show Assembly BOM in 3D drawings

I am well aware of using BOM tables / Balloons on 2D drawing environment.

Recently staring working on 3D annotations / drawings ASME Y 14.41

I have not been able to insert BOM tables and corresponding BOM balloon notes on the 3D model, wondering anyone out there manage to get that and appreciated any hints/tips/tutorials etc.

Thanks and Regards

Kashyap Rao

kashyap.ramarao@thalesgroup.com.au

Thales Australia

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Got a confirmation from PTC Tech Support...

Reason for ClosureSolution Delivered
Closure DetailsInformed the customer that Table in not supported for 3D drawings.

There u go, no 3D complete 3D drawings for assemblies, cannot show BOMs !

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi

I dont thing this feature is introduced till now

Regards

K.Mahanta

Got a confirmation from PTC Tech Support...

Reason for ClosureSolution Delivered
Closure DetailsInformed the customer that Table in not supported for 3D drawings.

There u go, no 3D complete 3D drawings for assemblies, cannot show BOMs !

RaphMORIN
13-Aquamarine
(To:kramarao)

Is there anything new about this ? Is it possible to show a bom on a 3D Creo assembly ?

Hi Kashyap...

You're definitely not going to be able to generate a table and somehow "store" it in the 3D model. The tables have always been the domain on 2D drawings and repeat regions. However, you certainly can attach BOM balloons to your 3D models as annotations. They will not be "intelligent"... meaning they will not automatically update. This is only possible using a table and repeat region. But if you did wish to annotate using a balloon, I'm quite certain you can manually create the balloon and attach it as a 3D annotation.

You're taking steps toward annotating your models completely in 3D. This is fairly new territory and you're likely going to have to blaze some new paths. What if we're approaching this wrong. Maybe shouldn't figure out how to use OLD structures, features, and commands to make the 3D annotations work. Instead, lets ask some different questions and see if we can solve the problem another way.

First... for BOMs... we can certainly use the reporting functions in Creo View to generate a BOM right from the 3D model. We could also use the reporting features of Windchill or Pro/INTRALINK to generate a BOM (if you have these). The only missing piece is the 3D balloons parametrically driven from the BOM.

This might be a stretch... but what about looking into the use of Creo Illustrate for the BOM and balloon generation? I know this package has the same BOM features as Creo View... with enhanced annotation capabilities. I haven't had the time to dig into this new software very deeply... but it might be worth a look.

Let me think about this one a bit more... write back with your thoughts on using Creo View or Windchill. Maybe after sleeping on this I'll have a more elegant solution.

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Creo illustrate is ISODraw right? I would assume if we use that only the deliverables such as pdf or what ever document would have the illustration of BOM Balloons or is there more than that?

Thanks

Kashyap

Hi Kashyap...

I do not have much experience with Creo Illustrate... and I have absolutely no experience with IsoDraw. So I can't actually tell you if it's the same as IsoDraw but I think it is. I think Creo Illustrate is just the rebranded version of that software.

In just the few hours I worked with it tonight, it seemed to hold some promise for what you're after. First, it had the capability to generate a BOM, edit and reorganize it (if necessary), and annotate the 3D model with parametric parts balloons.

You can export the file in a host of formats... both 2D and 3D. You can also export to .PVS or .PVZ format which can be read in Creo View. We've already established you can generate DXF's from Creo View (Standard licensed version)... which satisfied your other requirement. Maybe using a combination of Creo for modeling and then Creo Illustrate and/or Creo View for capturing views, animating, generating BOMs and annotating would work?

At heart I'm a Pro/E purist... I want to keep everything in Pro/E all the time. However, Pro/E is the "old" paradigm. Now that we're moving on to Creo, I've taken the opportunity to really dig into some of the related products. I'm really beginning to love Creo View (with the full MCAD/ECAD suite and the massive assy option turned on). I haven't quite figured out where and when to use Creo Illustrate... but I have to say I like it, too.

Maybe going forward we shouldn't necessarily look to solve every problem directly in Creo. With the ability to pop back and forth into these other packages, maybe your final 3D model isn't in Creo format (.asm, .prt) but instead in Creo View format?

As I said before, you're on new ground... so this is definitely time to think out of the box. You have a good opportunity to design your own solution balancing the features and capabilities you need with the complexity of working in multiple software packages (albeit related ones).

Do you have the ability to take a look at Creo Illustrate... or have you already worked with IsoDraw and found it to be insufficient for your needs?

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags