cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Using projected and offset curves in swept blend

ptc-5502634
1-Newbie

Using projected and offset curves in swept blend

I am having trouble generating a swept blend through 3 sets of coordinates for a stator: hub, mid and tip. I have created a sketch for each set of coordinates and projected these onto the surface of the hub, radius 330 mm. I then offset the mid and tip sketches by the according lengths.

Creo will not let me generate a swept blend through these 3 profiles. I think the problem may lie with the fact they are curved but I am unsure as to why it will not generate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Euan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

I think you are correct. As far as I know, the sections need to be planar.

Thanks for your reply Eric.

Is there another way I can create this 3D model? I am really struggling to do so due to the complex geometry.

Cheers

Euan

Welcome to the forum, by the way. It's hard to tell what exactly you are doing without a picture or model. Can you upload your model (non-academic version)? Why can't you get away with planar surfaces with the swept blend?

If I understand it correctly (shot in the dark), the inner-most and outer-most surfaces will matter the most on the swept blend since it will have to match the hub and tip. If the hub and tip match a surface that is revolved about the stator, you can do an offset surface replace of the surface of each end of the blend.

I think I understand what you are suggesting. Would I be replacing the surface at the hub and the tip by a curved surface of radius 330mm and 400mm?

http://communities.ptc.com/thread/52936

I have uploaded my model in this thread. Thanks.

Pick your trajectory curve, and unless otherwise specified, your section will remain normal to that curve. Now, add your additional trajectories one at a time, starting with the next most important, with dimensions to constrain the sketch. As you add trajectories, you will need to delete dimensions in the sketch. This will help you troubleshoot. Your additional trajectories should be as long as your origin trajectory curve, in a plane normal to the endpoint.

As noted, without a pic of what you're trying to do, it's almost impossible to help.

Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply Frank.

http://communities.ptc.com/thread/52936

My part model is uploaded in this thread. My profiles of the stator are not as sketches as I had to project them onto the curved surface in order to correctly model them. Then offset them and create one curve from the two offset sections through copy and paste.

Hopefully looking at my part model will help you understand. Thanks.

Top Tags