cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Using rpt.qty to show quantity in a single part drawing

RNKDesigns
1-Newbie

Using rpt.qty to show quantity in a single part drawing

Is there a way to use a BOM's "rpt.qty" in a part drawing? I'd like to include the quantity in the part info table when I create drawings so I don' t have to manually enter it.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

Wouldn't it always be a quantity of one?

I guess don't understand why you should need to reference the rpt.qty parameter in the drawing for an individual part. Can you explain a little more what you're trying to do?

Thanks,

Brian

hmmm...let me guess....sometimes we need to show the total quantity of that particular part, its individual weight and the total weight of the quantity...in the part drawing itself.

we have made drawings of individual parts with customer asking us to put the total quantity with the individual part drawing itself.....at present we do it manually.

Wow. In 25 years of engineering I've never had anyone ask for that before. In that case, no, there's no way to use the rpt.qty parameter in such a situation. I think you'll be stuck entering it manually.

You sort of need the assembly to tally the number of components.

Okay so now that I wrote that I realize maybe you can pull this off if you want to jump through hoops to get there.

You can make a repeat region in your part drawing, set the Model controlling the region to be some upper level assembly which contains all of the parts you wish to tabulate. Then you can set the region attributes to be recursive and filter out everything except the one item you're interested in.

The technique requires several things:

1. You must have some assembly that contains all of your parts- even if that assembly is the top level assembly of your entire product. Creo will not tabulate 5 parts from one subassembly and 3 parts from another and 1 from a third. But if all of those subassemblies reside under one larger top level assembly, the technique will work.
  2. You have to use a table. You can't just grab a value from &rpt.qty. The only way this works is in a table- even if it's a one line table. You must drive the table using the assembly from step 1.
  3. You have to use filters and set the recursive attribute otherwise Creo won't tabulate all items down through all levels of your assembly.

If you're willing to jump through these hoops you can probably get what you want. If you're willing to add in a few relations to your table, you can also calculate and display the total weight of all items.

Please excuse my initial dismissal of the idea that this can be done. Normally I don't throw in the towel so easily. I have to blame it on extreme fatigue. I working far over my capacity lately and I'm afraid it's affecting my ability to think creatively to solve problems.

I hope that helps...

Best regards,

-Brian

Just to be a bit more clear... I design injection molds and many components of the mold require more than 1. So I was hoping when I create individual dimensioned drawings of each mold component that there would be an easy way to automatically show how many components are required in the mold assembly.

What Brian posted above pretty much works.

I am a tool designer, and I use this method since the day zero. It required me to set up some relations in my repeat region, which took me a while, but it was well worth it.

So, there is a couple of things to add.

If you expect to get the quantity into a table cell, that is not part of the assembly repeat region, then you are going the wrong way. To show quantity in part drawings I recommend to use the same repeat region table that I use for assembly drawing BOM.

This repeat region needs to have recursive and no duplicates atributes, to show the right quantity.

If you are also bothered with the rpt index, or better said the position number of the part in an assembly, then you will have to define a parameter to sort the repeat region. The whole procedure should then go like this:

1. Load top level assembly into the part drawing
  2. Insert Pro/Report table that includes the desired repeat region
  3. Fix the index of that repeat region
  4. Filter out everything except the part in the part drawing
  5. You will get one lined repeat region table just with the header, or footer depending on the repeat region listing order. This table can include quantity, index, or anything you can think of pulling off the assembly.

Regards,

~Jakub

So, essentially, for each component drawing, I need to load the bill of materials and filter/exclude all the other components except for that part. I was hoping there would be a quicker/easier way than that. Maybe someday PTC can figure something out.

All that bunch of clicking can be semi-automated with a couple of mapkeys.

Top Tags