cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Variable Groups

jgottfredson
1-Newbie

Variable Groups

We use 1760 style circular connectors often or i.e. D38999/20FJ20SN. They have twinax and coax contacts within them. I would use a variable group however the Twinax and Coax contacts within these connectors have at least two connections of their own, with only a single identifier for the contact. We typically show all the connections (Please View Attachment), which I am not sure how to approach in RSD. A variable group will give me ports per contact, but if the contact has multiple connections with a single identifier how would I address this to show all connections? i.e. with connector D38999/20FJ20SN, contact K is a Twinax contact, with two 24AWG wires connecting to it along with the Shield, or three connections for one contact. The attachment was done in Keycreator which we are migrating from to RSD.

Would it even be a variable group shape? Has anyone dealt with this type of connector?

With variable group shapes my understanding is that only one port is allowed, so would a Fixed Group Shape work? If so could you update the pins or contacts used like you can with a Variable Group Shape?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

We also use the D38999 series of connectors and have dealt with this very issue since RSD 6 when we started. What I do is setup multiple ports for each connection of that single contact. So, what is really 1 contact on the connector would show up as 2 or 3 contacts in the schematic. For example, your Twinax contact 'K' would show up for me as K-CC, K-IC, and K-OC. Each name is unique this way, but all start with the name of the actual contact 'K'. However, this now throws off my num_of_pins Parameter, but to be honest, my Engineers do not search my the number of contacts a connector has, they typically know what connector they are going to use, and they will just search for the Part Number of that connector and not worry about what the num_of_pins Parameter says. I have heard of other people creating a new Parameter that is filled in manually that shows the true number of contacts a connector has to get around this problem.

Thank you for your response, It is appreciated.

Thanks,

John Gottfredson

Drafter/Designer

General Atomics

14200 Kirkham Way

Poway, Ca 92064

Top Tags