cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

WF 4.0 hardware performance

shumphreys
1-Newbie

WF 4.0 hardware performance

Good morning,

I have a workstation that has been running WF 4.0 for probably ten years or so. The software ran great always. My workstation is a dual Pentium III 1 GHz each with 2 Gig of RAM. It is XP pro OS and I have an Nvidia Quadro4 380 XGL.

Recently I have started to pick up some side work. I opened up a very simple part that was given to me via .step. All I wanted to do was extend a few straight planar surfaces. A simple extrude, use edge, trim corners and away I should have went. But every time I picked an edge the hourglass would pop up and start to blink like it was working. The more edges I picked, the more the hour glass would pop up and blink. Trimming to corners was a slow pain. It all worked but to use edge of maybe 20 edges and trim them took like 5 minutes for the software to catch up.

What the heck is up do you think? Is that a symptom of my video card or my processors do you think? It was never ever like this. This workstation is not nor was it ever hooked to the web. there is nothing else running. This machine is clean except for Pro/E.

Any ideas would be greatly helpful. This is an old license obviously. I cannot afford Creo and I'd like to continue using WF 4 for these simple projects I pick up. Can I even maybe take my hard drive with Wildfire 4.0 on it and put it in a better performing workstation?

Thanks and have a nice night .

Sid

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you got a new PC (it seems like it's time), I think that PTC will convert your expired license to run on your new workstation without requiring a maintenance contract. If not, all you'd need to bring over would be the network card, the license server uses the MAC address of the card for validation.

WF4 works fine on Windows 7, but I'm not sure if it'll run on Windows 8. I think Dell still sells workstations with Windows 7, at least they did in December.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

If you got a new PC (it seems like it's time), I think that PTC will convert your expired license to run on your new workstation without requiring a maintenance contract. If not, all you'd need to bring over would be the network card, the license server uses the MAC address of the card for validation.

WF4 works fine on Windows 7, but I'm not sure if it'll run on Windows 8. I think Dell still sells workstations with Windows 7, at least they did in December.

--
LinkedIn

Hey Doug,

I believe you have helped me before on MCAD? How are you sir?

I really would like to stay with WF to be honest. The workstation is not hooked up to the network or web. So bring the network card and the hard drive you say?

Do my problems seem to be processor related or would it seem to be video card related do you think? Every pick the hour glass pops up and stays up longer and longer. It was never ever like that before.

Thanks Doug

It's hard to say, especially since it was fine before. An updated graphics driver may help.

If WF4 is working for you, no need to change and frankly the hardware should still work as well as it ever did. Have you checked other models to see if they show similar issues? You can also try temporarily removing any config.pro files to see if it's perhaps a config setting causing issues.

--
LinkedIn

Thanks Doug. I'll mess with it tonight and let you know.

Have a good night.

Sid

Hey Doug,

The file I was seeing the most problem with was a step file I brought in from I think it was Inventor. But honestly, in its native from, it couldn't have been more than 15 or 20 features. WF 4 was seriously lagging. Every mouse pick brought up the hour glass.

I then last night just made some simple extrusion and started doing simple cuts and revolves to it. It was better but not much. Didn't really mess with the current config.pro.

I'll mess with that tonight. My Video card is old I know, I'll see if the driver is current, which I doubt.

Thanks Doug.

Sid

Sid,

I agree with what Doug is suggesting, but want to also add that you may want to check out your memory usage. 2GB is not much.

Open your "task manager" "performance" tab and see how much in session memory your using. If its pushing (or over) your 2GB of physical memory the slow response could be blamed on SWAP space. Then to fix the problem... Is this a 64bit XP machine that you can simply add a couple RAM sticks, or is it a 32bit machine that you will need to activate the 32bit "3gb switch"? Let me know if you need more info...

Good Luck

Bernie

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

Good morning Bernie,

Thank you so much sir for replying. I think you may be on to something with the "memory" thing. I will take a look at what you are suggesting tonight when I get to the house. I did leave you a message as well on your voicemail.

My email is sid.Humphreys@saftbatteries.com

828-879-5050 w

828-238-8644 c

Thank you again so much sir.

Sid

Top Tags