cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

WF4 - Convert Nested Family Table to "regular" Family Table

HamsterNL
18-Opal

WF4 - Convert Nested Family Table to "regular" Family Table

We have a nested family table which is widely used in all our models. We want to remove the "nested layers" of the nested family table...convert it to a "regular" (non-nested) family table.

Is this possible?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

it is possible to create new model using information saved in multi-level family tables. You have to find way how to create new 1-level family table, nothing else.

Unfortunately I do not believe that after creating new model you can throw old model into "trash bin". I guess that lot of assemblies are related to it.

MH

Martin Hanák

In our case, the nested family is only 1 level deep, but it does contains 108 instances.

It's a fastener (DIN7985)

Current nested family table

DIN7985

DIN7985_M3

DIN7985_M3x10

DIN7985_M3x12

DIN7985_M3x16

DIN7985_M3x20

...etc...

DIN7985_M4

DIN7985_M4x10

DIN7985_M4x12

DIN7985_M4x16

DIN7985_M4x20

...etc...

DIN7985_M5

DIN7985_M6

DIN7985_M8

DIN7985_M10

We want to change that into:

DIN7985

DIN7985_M3x10

DIN7985_M3x12

DIN7985_M3x16

DIN7985_M3x20

...etc...

DIN7985_M4x10

DIN7985_M4x12

DIN7985_M4x16

DIN7985_M4x20

...etc...

"It is possible to create new model using information saved in multi-level family tables."

Could you explain those steps?

Hi,

save family tables into text files with .ptd extension and combine them together. Ask some IT guy from your company, if you need help.

I am not sure if WF4 is able to save family table in Excel file. If this functionality is available, use it instead of the above mentioned solution.

MH

Martin Hanák

If you're using Windchill PDMLink doing so is easy. There is a tech support article on how to do so.

If the Tech Support Search wasn't like hitting myself in the face with an ice pick I would give a link.

The short version is to do the following while in a WF session linked to Windchill PDMLink. (It may work with other PDM systems, but I'm not sure.)

1. Open the top level generic.

2. Open one of the instances in the generic.

3. Go back to the generic and delete that instance from the family table.

4. Save the generic and the instance.

5. You now have that instance as a stand-alone family table (no longer nested) and the generic with the other nested instances still in it.

Just repeat this for every multi-level instance.

If you're not using Windchill PDMLink, then I'm not sure if it's possible. Well, I should say it's possible to break the nested family table apart but assemblies using the instances may all fail. So be careful.

Top Tags