cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

WF4 freeform

DeanLong
10-Marble

WF4 freeform

While I know WF4 has been out for ages, this may be old hat.But I have not had any customers running it until recently so I have not messed around with it too much. So...I finally get an opportunity to doso and I was interested in the direct surface editing (e'hem..."enhancement" ) hoping for something of value.Umm...he shoots and wa...wa! I am disappointed again by PTC's apparent misfire onwhat could have been the CATSASSfor doing real A-surface modeling and getting us some new customers.Years ago you gaveus what was essentially CDRS renamed ISDX with the Style feature. ISDX superfeatures are EXCRUTIATING to build if more than 20 surfaces (body designers know what I mean) and become too painfulto deal with.Now we are given the ability to "freeform" a surface with nodes?? What's new here?Pro/E surface "freeform" has been around for a very long time and this looks the same to me. I don't see any real functionality enhancemant at all. What have I missed that was not essentially possiblesince at leastversion 2001? Yanking nodes around on a "copied" surface is pointless. Andwithout mathematical control and continuity matching it's worthless.What's the point? No offense to all the Jelly Bean designers our there, but that's all Warp andDirect Surface Editing appears good for as farasI can tell.So Waltham....WTF did you buy IcemSurf for?You let a great opportunity pass you (and Us) by again with short sighted development.

MAKE A GREAT PRODUCT AND YOUR SALES WILL FOLLOW. Not the other way around.

I am not really interested in arguing with all you "surface"experts out there. People that do and have done "real" Class A modeling (automotive, painted sheetmetal)know what I am talking about. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE to just makingsmooth pretty surfaces that look good on a screen andcreating matched, C2 (on ALL sides), mathematically correct exterior surfaces that will gleam in the sun as it's driven down the road.

Anyone have a different opinion about WF4 Direct Surface Editing that I am missing? I am ready and hoping that I change my opinion on this subject. To all the dismissives....I have been on this software since 1989...So, I know my way around.Maybe it's the four cups of coffee I had this morning...but man! Ahhhhhhhhh!

Let the email flood begin.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags