cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Wankel engine port area

mdrbal
1-Newbie

Wankel engine port area

Hello guys,

Im modeling a wankel engine with axial intake ports, i have the geometry and the kinematics and now i need to analyse the port opening vs. crank angle rotation.

Question is, are there any functions that could measure the combined area (or volume) of two parts in respect to the time or angle rotation ( i can set up both in mechanism ) and export it to text file?

Thank you, if this question is not clear please ask and I will try to explain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:mdrbal)

Ok, I looked a little bit more into it, and if you have the basic mechanism design extension, then you can plot and export various measures as your mechanism goes through its motions.  Here's a Creo 2.0 example of a small disk rotating within a larger disk about their common hole.  The analysis measure of the "interference volume" is being tracked as the servomotor goes through its motion:

engine_test.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

The only volume trick I know is removing volumes in assemblies (merge).

This can provide a volume analysis with ease depending on your required granularity.

For area, you can create the surface and get area analysis directly.

Again, fairly intensive to get many data points.

Thank you, the way I do it is just moving the assembly by certain amount of degrees of angle while during each step I let the creo calculate the volume interference of the ports. As I have created the extrude of the area with 1 mm height the volume is calculated and I can ready it as a area. But I would like this to be automatised because its tedious work to do.

Any ideas?

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Understood.

There are conditions in assemblies that remain dynamic.  I've had dynamic results read with an annotation within the assembly.

This tells me that you should be able to create a sketch that will regenerate with each step and provide the new values.

I am not coming up with anything where that sketch would not require regeneration but it is certainly worth a try.

If it doesn't work between parts, you might be able to get an area measurement to become dynamic.

Do the subtractions calculation in relations from area measurements.

if I wasn't buried in work right now I'd play with this, but all I can do for the moment is rattle your gray cells.

psobejko
12-Amethyst

I'm thinking the behavioral modeling extension would probably do this with it's "sensitivity study" functionality. 

But you want to do this with the basic Creo package; then maybe something like trailmaker can be adapted to give you the automation you seek.

Trailmaker 0.3

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Ok, I looked a little bit more into it, and if you have the basic mechanism design extension, then you can plot and export various measures as your mechanism goes through its motions.  Here's a Creo 2.0 example of a small disk rotating within a larger disk about their common hole.  The analysis measure of the "interference volume" is being tracked as the servomotor goes through its motion:

engine_test.png

Thank you, this is exactly what i needed.

I will try to make my own analysis according to this and I will post the results.

mdrbal
1-Newbie

Ok so thank you so much kind sir, you saved countless hours of my life. Screenshot_3.png

psobejko
12-Amethyst

You're very welcome.  I learned something too.

Top Tags