cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

What happend to draft analysis - BOTH SIDES?

emetzger
3-Visitor

What happend to draft analysis - BOTH SIDES?

Straight draft in my crude example picture, but I put the "direction" (representing the parting line) in the middle, so when I would normally pick the "both directions" button, and I'd see negative draft colors on one side.

Creo 3 M090 does not have a "both direction" button, and until I can find it or the like Creo is not providing accurate draft analysis.

I've been using draft analysis in Pro for nearly 20 years. What am I missing today?

draft both sides.png

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
19 REPLIES 19

Creo happened. The new analysis tools Baaaaalllow!

I have not used 3 but you may want to look at the fly-out within the Draft Analysis fly-out after it appears and see if two sided was added back to the options.

This was BOTH SIDES option.

PTC - Where is this now?

Pre-Creo Both Sides.JPG

I believe that it does both directions by default.  What are you expecting to see that you are not?  Your image looks right to me.  Everything in purple/blue is at least 3 degrees positive draft.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Both sides...when the highlighted top plane is selected...would highlight a natural split and change color at that selected plane. Right now, it shows a straight pull via the direction of the datum plane but without being able to pick "Both Sides" it does not show what would be the split at both sides and identify where I have negative draft.

Not to mention...I would see 2 up/down arrows telling I am looking at "both sides" not just one arrow.

In your image, everything visible is drafted to be pulled in the direction of the arrow, so it's blue.  I'd expect the bottom surface to be pink/magenta because it has to be pulled in the opposite direction.

The plane selection is for direction only, it has nothing to do with where the color is split, that will depend on the geometry.  I always interpreted those buttons as one direction or both directions rather than one or two sides.

Again, it's showing both directions all the time.

--
LinkedIn

The "both direction" selection makes the directional plane you select act like a parting line, thus the colors would be opposite at said plane when the both sides option is used in this example. "Both directions" of the selected plane is analyzed and that is not what is occurring.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:emetzger)

Eric Metzger‌, just for comparison sake can you show this same simple model in a version that works like you expect?  Creo 2 or whatever build it was "correct"...

emetzger
3-Visitor
(To:TomU)

Not anytime soon, but I likely can.

I guess the question to answer right now is...in Creo 3 M090...what is the difference between single and both directions when compared to previous versions where I provided a picture of the option.

You cannot have it analyze single and both directions at the same time...its one or the other.

The draft isn't different on either sides of the TOP plane as shown above, so it shouldn't be shown differently.  Again, Creo is telling you that everything visible has more than 3 degrees of draft in the direction of the arrow.  Spin it over and it'll show you an orange color on the bottom, meaning it's more than 3 degrees in the opposite direction.

Take a look at this image.  It's saying that the near LH face is drafted at least 3 degrees in the negative direction and the RH face is split so the top part is at least 3 degrees in the positive ad the bottom part is at least 3 degrees negative.  Note that the direction plane isn't coincident with the split, it only defines direction not position.  The split of the two colors shows you the parting line, which is not on the TOP plane.

This is how I've always seen the draft analysis work.  It's just that the one or two direction option is now gone, it's always two directions.

Capture.JPG

--
LinkedIn

BTW, that screenshot is Creo 2, note the one/ttwo direction option is gone there too.

I no longer have anything older loaded, but I might be able to later this week.

--
LinkedIn

Installed WF5 and tried the same thing, got the same result. Note there's no one/two sides option in WF5 either:

Capture.JPG

--
LinkedIn

Interesting. Well, I know I've used it and used it a lot to help with complicated stepped parting lines. Oh well.

Thank you for taking the time to load previous versions to verify.

I was curious (and things are slow here), so I loaded up WF4 and tried it there too.  It has the one/two directions control.  Interestingly, the results on screen weren't any difference, aside from the arrow.

One direction (note the arrow):

Capture.JPG

Two directions (note, there's no arrow):

Capture2.JPG

That's not what I remembered, but there it is.

At any rate, the draft check seems to be performing as it always has.

--
LinkedIn

Draft the entire side wall and try that again using the same top (middle) datum as the direction/parting line! You'll then see what I am referring to when you hit both directions.

I got my consultant involved as well, as I wanted to know when and why this was removed. Signed point to the functionality being moved to the Cast/Mold extension, but this is not yet confirmed with our own eyes.

The entire LH wall is drafted at 5 degrees (to be pulled down), only the RH wall is split. 

From my view, the draft check is displaying properly in Creo 2, WF5 and WF4, regardless of one or two sides.  It also is correct in your example at the top.  It's showing you where the parting line is and that all surfaces are at least 3 degrees, either to be pulled up or down.  In your example, all visible surfaces are drafted up.

I'm sorry, I don't see the problem.

--
LinkedIn

Direct from PTC;  "...this "both sides" option has been made obsolete."

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:emetzger)

It looks like this actually happened back in Wildfire 5.  See the last comment from this discussion here: RE: Draft check in Creo Wildfire 5, what happend?

Works just fine in WF5/Creo Parametric...

Top Tags