cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

What is the easiest and elegant way to create a Y-shaped groove?

nalexandru
12-Amethyst

What is the easiest and elegant way to create a Y-shaped groove?

Hi,

I have to create a Groove shaped Y. I already have the section on a plane perpendicular on the base of the Y segment.

What is the most efficient, simple and elegant way to seep that section along all three segments of the Y?

Is it possible to use the section to the non perpendicular trajectory of the two upper parts of the Y in such way that the system reorient it perpendicular to the trajectory and asks me only where to place it on the starting plane for a sweep, for example?

Thank you,

Nic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:nalexandru)

Cannot edit a posting that has been replied to so I will combine it here.

My best solution:

Sketch the three lines of the "Y" in the shape you want in a sketch.

Create a Sweep, use the base and one arm for the trajectory and place the sketch at the base.

Create a second Sweep, use the base and the other arm for the trajectory (you may need  to query select (right click) the base line then shift select the second arm) and place the sketch at the base again.  Project the edges of the first sweep to maintain the same profile between the two sweeps.

A quick example in 2.0 in attached to my previous post.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kdirth
20-Turquoise

My best solution:

Sketch the Y in the shape you want.

Create a Sweep, use the base and one arm for the trajectory and place the sketch at the base.

Create a second Sweep, use the base and the other arm for the trajectory and place the sketch at the base again.  Project the edges of the first sweep to maintain the same profile between the two sweeps.

nalexandru
12-Amethyst
(To:kdirth)

Hi, Kevin,

This exactly what I tried to do. My problem is I can't select the second "arm" and the base of the "Y". Basically, the shape of the "Y" is divided in two: base plus one arm and the second arm. On the second arm the section is no longer perpendicular to the trajectory so I get an ellipse for a circle.

section.

How did you sketch the "Y" shape? You haven't had any problems selecting the base and the two arms in the successive sweeps?

Nic.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I created the "Y" shape with three lines in one sketch.

For the second sweep, you will need to query select (right click) the base line then shift select the second arm.

Attached is a quick example in 2.0.

nalexandru
12-Amethyst

Surprise, surprise!! It worked!!

Thank you, Kevin! I didn't know where to use the query selection before now!

Could you, please, edit your first answer adding this additional info, so I can put the "Correct answer" that comprises ALL the details of the case for ones like me that have problems in selecting things (in Pro/E and in life :-P).

Thank you again,

Nic.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

Cannot edit a posting that has been replied to so I will combine it here.

My best solution:

Sketch the three lines of the "Y" in the shape you want in a sketch.

Create a second Sweep, use the base and the other arm for the trajectory (you may need  to query select (right click) the base line then shift select the second arm) and place the sketch at the base again.  Project the edges of the first sweep to maintain the same profile between the two sweeps.

A quick example in 2.0 in attached to my previous post.

nalexandru
12-Amethyst

perfect!

thanks again

nic.

Top Tags