cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Where did the mirror option for datums go? (Mirror to create new part in Assembly)

ByDesign
9-Granite

Where did the mirror option for datums go? (Mirror to create new part in Assembly)

Creating a new part by mirror in an assembly, but there is a missing option (or I can't find it).  In past versions, Pro/E, you had the option to include the datums.  I don't remember what the menu pick was called exactly, (you could choose "Reference", meaning dependent, and with or without datums), but the result was a new part, geometry only, and it included mirrored datum planes from the original.  That way you have something to use for alignment etc when you put the part in other places.

In Creo 9, there is the option to mirror "Geometry with Features", but that is not dependent, so it won't update with the original.  Does anyone know how to mirror the Geometry and include the datums?  Or to make the "Geometry with Features" dependent?

4 REPLIES 4
danders238
13-Aquamarine
(To:ByDesign)

Have you tried using Mirror Component?

In Creo 8 the datums are copied over by default with the settings below.

If you select geometry only and want the geometry to be dependent, make sure to check the box next to Geometry Dependent (not checked in image below, not able to check it when geometry and features option selected).

danders238_0-1683828333703.png

danders238_2-1683829001481.png

Hope this helps,

Don A

Thanks, @danders238 .  That's where I started, and you can see the options there that I mentioned.  Probably should have said it was in that dialog box.

If we want it to follow the parent, you must use the "Geometry Only" and "Geometry Dependent".  Here is the expanded model tree.

Creo-Screenshot-mirror.png

Anyway, on a full interrogation of the mirror part I do find the body contains axes, and csys, with tags (names of them).  You can select those.

On diving deeper, I eventually found Datum Plane looking things, but no tags, so you can't select unless you pick on the screen, but the tags exist somewhere because they show up in a hover, and by name in the layer (copied from the parent), however, if you interact with them, you get this:

Creo-FatalErrort-mirror.png

It's possible that PTC once again skipped the Quality Assurance steps (the normal I guess) so now it's a new feature for closing the program.  Anyway, from my original question, I guess there is something there that looks like Datums, but they are not usable.

That's probably the answer - the function is supposed to be there, but it doesn't work.

Hi,

it would be better to discuss your problem with PTC Support.

Martin Hanák

@MartinHanak In a perfect world you're right.  My experience says there are some really smart folks that have figured out a work-around already, rather than waiting for a PTC fix.  Tech Support will be happy to take the case, complain that it doesn't replicate for them, argue about if it's really a problem, close the case because it doesn't fit their tiny minded box, then re-open the case when I ask about progress, maybe eventually file an SPR, and 6 to 9 months later, there might be a fix.  I'm really glad there are smart guys like you who help with the hiccups.  This community is a blessing with responses - usually much more thoughtful and experienced than tech support.

For the record, I have submitted it to tech support, and their response . . . "Please bear with us as we are investigating the case"  So, we'll see.

Top Tags