cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Working with more sessions in Creo8

JA_1434743
4-Participant

Working with more sessions in Creo8

Hello, I use Creo version 8, If I have more sessions open and one of them is busy, all other sessions are blocked until the task is processed. Is it possible to have a solution where it would be possible to continue working while the task is being processed? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@JA_1434743 wrote:

Hello, I use Creo version 8, If I have more sessions open and one of them is busy, all other sessions are blocked until the task is processed. Is it possible to have a solution where it would be possible to continue working while the task is being processed? Thanks

Hi,

if you want to run two independent Creo 8 sessions then you have to create two Creo startup psf files and inside of them define different values for PTC_WF_ROOT variables. Please read https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS372750

Example:

Imagine that Creo is installed in E:\PTC\Creo8_040 directory.

By default E:\PTC\Creo8_040\Creo 8.0.4.0\Parametric\bin contains parametric.psf

Make a copy of parametric.psf and rename it to parametric2.psf

Open both files in Notepad

In line starting with DESC= enter different description texts, eg. 

DESC=Creo Parametric (1st session)

and

DESC=Creo Parametric (2nd session)

Add line at the end of the file, eg. 

ENV=PTC_WF_ROOT=E:\PTC\PTC_WF_ROOT_Creo8_1st_session

and

ENV=PTC_WF_ROOT=E:\PTC\PTC_WF_ROOT_Creo8_2nd_session

Run Creo

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:JA_1434743)

By "session", you mean you are opening creo with more than one license, correct? You technically should be able to work on a different session while one is processing.

If you just mean you have multiple windows open, then no, you won't be able to work on a different open window while one is processing.

JA_1434743
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

I mean working with multiple licenses, it's interesting, by some colleagues in the office it's working, by others not. The same licences, same settings. I don't understand it? Thank You

@JA_1434743 wrote:

Hi,

if you want to run two independent Creo 8 sessions then you have to create two Creo startup psf files and inside of them define different values for PTC_WF_ROOT variables. Please read https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS372750

Example:

Imagine that Creo is installed in E:\PTC\Creo8_040 directory.

By default E:\PTC\Creo8_040\Creo 8.0.4.0\Parametric\bin contains parametric.psf

Make a copy of parametric.psf and rename it to parametric2.psf

Open both files in Notepad

In line starting with DESC= enter different description texts, eg. 

DESC=Creo Parametric (1st session)

and

DESC=Creo Parametric (2nd session)

Add line at the end of the file, eg. 

ENV=PTC_WF_ROOT=E:\PTC\PTC_WF_ROOT_Creo8_1st_session

and

ENV=PTC_WF_ROOT=E:\PTC\PTC_WF_ROOT_Creo8_2nd_session

Run Creo

Martin Hanák

... two running sessions consume one license.

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MartinHanak)

@MartinHanak That's interesting.

Was it always that way? Its been several years since I have done this so I could be wrong but I remember looking at ptcstatus output and noticing my computer listed as taking a license with each open session.

@StephenW wrote:

Was it always that way? Its been several years since I have done this so I could be wrong but I remember looking at ptcstatus output and noticing my computer listed as taking a license with each open session.

Hi,

license code contains DUP_GROUP=UHD sequence (you can search PTC Knowledge Base to start date of this license feature). This means that unambiguous combination of User+Host+Display consumes single Creo license. Of course you have to start Creo using the same license.

Martin Hanák

... I searched archived license files and found DUP_GROUP=UHD sequence in license file downloaded in 2019 .

Martin Hanák
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:MartinHanak)

Thanks Martin, it's very interesting and thanks for the info.

I came across this as I was searching https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS336322

Its not the same but helps in understanding.

RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:StephenW)

@StephenW wrote:

No it has not always been that way. Previous behavior, for floating licenses, was to consume a license for each session even if running the same license. PTC changed this a few years ago: https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/CS234779

After this change multiple sessions of the same user, same host, and same license only consume one license.

This is one of those rare licensing changes, PTC made, that actually benefited the customer instead of PTC.

Hello Martin,

that works, thank you very much for your kind help.

Have a nice day.

Jan Andraschko

Top Tags