cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

after more than 2 years in the making....the way to create drawing symbols remains extremely old fashioned.

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

after more than 2 years in the making....the way to create drawing symbols remains extremely old fashioned.

after more than 2 years in the making....in creo parametric 3.0.. also the way to create drawing symbols remains extremely old fashioned ...

they haven't changed that..i just don't get it...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Maybe that is why they are raising maintenance costs again... so they can hire some new programmers.

Really sad to learn this, Rohit.

Lack of change is expected. The drawing symbol system is simple. Changing it will be complicated.

For a short time, PTC exposed the underlying layers system that drives how symbol groups work. It made it much more obvious. You could edit definition on a symbol and then open the layers menu and see what layers existed in the symbols.

What I hoped for for a long time was intelligent symbols, such that the sizes and contents of symbols would be managed with relations and parameters. And by contents, I mean e.g. weld symbols would have if-then statements rather than groups, not simply echoing back external values. With the present system of layer driven groups, complex symbols often require repeating the same graphical elements multiple times because of mutual exclusion settings.

It would be an intelligent overlay with Sketcher used to generate symbols. The geometry solver with local section relations to control geometry generation and logic on top to control display of particular elements.

I also hoped that symbols extents would get dealt with as well. Make a symbol that takes little space in one group and a lot of space in another. In order to window-select an instance of the little-space group one needs to select an area encompassing the lot-of-space group, even though the on-screen image is mostly blank. In notes, symbols are given far too much space, acting as if they are a full character. Embedding a flag note symbol into a note column causes the line the symbol is on to have a disctracting amount of space.

I've never noticed or looked in the layers of symbols. I'll have to do that sometime.

Your other observations are spot on. Not only would I like to see an IM sketcher in symbols, but in the drawing sketch tab. Creating geometry in both of these environments is a cruel joke.

Seeing the layers was a fluke, somewhere between version 13 to 18. After that PTC stopped showing them. But layers is why making symbol groups is so goofy. I thought it was handy at the time to be able to move the items directly from layer to layer rather than using the grouping interface.

There were quite a few "happy mistakes" that crept in some versions only to see them disappear later.

The current grouping interface is a nightmare! I would rather have 10 different symbols than try to make one intelligent one.

Top Tags