cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

:att_cmp only works with parts?

Pettersson
13-Aquamarine

:att_cmp only works with parts?

So I have a drawing with many simplified rep views. Can't do a normal BOM since I can't show balloons in different simpreps. I look around and there's this tip that you can get around this by using component parameters instead. I try it and it works. I still need to have one BOM for every simprep, though, which means my drawing now has five BOMs. I can hide them, but it's quite clumsy.

I realize, though, that I should be able to do it with balloon notes and the text &FINDNUMBER:att_cmp. I try it out and it works! I realize quickly that it doesn't work with sybols, which is a shame, but still, it's pretty convenient.

But now I try it on some more components and it dawns on me that the :att_cmp tag only works for parts; not for assemlies. It's terribly annoying and rather makes the whole :att_cmp useless, it seems to me. I'm guessing it's just how it is and nobody is going to do anything about it, but I wanted to make a post just in case anyone has a workaround. Or just to have something searchable that people can find if they happen upon the same issue as me.

So: anyone have a workaround? Is is possible to call out the component parameters in balloon notes? I guess I could do it with Session IDs, but that would be a LOT of work and not nearly as robust (if you change the attachment, for example).

6 REPLIES 6
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Pettersson)

I don't know how to fix the actual question of the component attachment.

There is a "bug" you can use to get balloons across simplified reps.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Allow-BOM-Ballons-from-Master-Rep-Repeat-Region-to-be-displayed/idc-p/466857/highlight/true#M5732

If you haven't, vote on the idea in the link also

Pettersson
13-Aquamarine
(To:StephenW)

Thanks, yeah, I found that one, too, but it doesn't seem to work on this installation. And with some 50 balloons, it sounds like it would take a lot of time.

I voted on the idea, and it seems it's already been acknowledged. If I'm not too lazy, I might write up an idea to fix the :att_cmp issue as well, though I doubt it affects enough people to gain any traction. It's really useless to have this half-working possibility as it is now.

@Pettersson wrote:

Thanks, yeah, I found that one, too, but it doesn't seem to work on this installation. And with some 50 balloons, it sounds like it would take a lot of time.

I voted on the idea, and it seems it's already been acknowledged. If I'm not too lazy, I might write up an idea to fix the :att_cmp issue as well, though I doubt it affects enough people to gain any traction. It's really useless to have this half-working possibility as it is now.

Hi,

I tested following scenario ...

top_asm.asm

... some parts

... subassembly.asm

... some parts

---

In top_asm.asm I defined component parameter mypar for subassembly.asm

In subassembly.asm I created datum point representing note attachment point.

I created drawing of top_asm.asm and placed iso view of assembly.

In drawing

• I created note with leader attached to entity
  • I selected above mentioned datum point
  • I entered &my_par:att_cmp
  • finished ... my_par value defined for subassembly.asm component was displayed

Maybe it helps ...

Martin Hanák

Hm, so it worked when you attached it to a datum point, but not to a subcomponent? I guess it makes sense, since the datum point is only part of the subassembly.asm and not of some other part. I guess that's what's confusing Creo. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it works. It's still a bit too much hassle to do this with all subassemblies, though, but it's an interesting find!

Thank you, Martin!

You're right, Martin, it works when I attach the balloon to a subassembly-level feature, but not to a component within the subassembly. If I copy a part-level surface and paste it in the subassembly level and attach the balloon to that, this also works. Still too much work to be useful, unfortunately.

@Pettersson wrote:

You're right, Martin, it works when I attach the balloon to a subassembly-level feature, but not to a component within the subassembly. If I copy a part-level surface and paste it in the subassembly level and attach the balloon to that, this also works. Still too much work to be useful, unfortunately.

Hi,

the whole problem is that Creo can't select a component when placing note attachment location. Pick from list dialog box does not offer component, it lists model references, only.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags