cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

buw Folder file name

VC_9790730
3-Visitor

buw Folder file name

Hi Everyone, 

I need help trying to figure out what the buw folder file is: 

VC_9790730_0-1676943241261.png

VC_9790730_1-1676943475023.png

It seems like it contains two folders named AFX and IFX. I am assuming it is some type of cache or templates maybe? Currently, this folder is sitting in my documents where I have important documents that I use on a daily basis, and having this folder sitting there maybe seems like a bad idea. Is there any way I change the default location of that folder? If so, do you know how I can do that? 

thank you so much in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That makes sense. This looks like some type of extension that adds in some type of performance. I had to reinstall Creo and created a separate Documents folder where the buw folder was automatically moved in the new install. I really do not understand what this folder is. Usually, cache, user extensions, or configuration will go to the Roaming folder in AppData but I do not fully understand what this folder was. At least this way, this folder is not sitting with all my other personal stuff. Thank you all.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

I guess that when you start Creo then its start directory is my documents directory. Because of this my documents directory contains buw sub-directory.

Martin Hanák

There is a German software company called B&W that provides add-on applications for PTC.

CAD applications for Creo Parametric (buw-soft.de)

AFX and IFX are applications of theirs that PTC incorporates.  The company I work for uses their SmartAssembly application to automate certain repetitive tasks.  The folder is BUW because you cannot use an & in the name.  As to what those folders are used for, I do not know.

BUW.jpg

I thought SmartAssembly is made by Sigmaxim not B&W?

But it is confusing as Sigmaxim also has SmartHoleChart, eg. on their website, which I was pretty sure is a B&W product...

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:pausob)

It's complicated.  As I understand it, B&W are the developers for Sigmaxim's products, and Sigmaxim is the reseller for B&W's products in the USA.

That makes sense. This looks like some type of extension that adds in some type of performance. I had to reinstall Creo and created a separate Documents folder where the buw folder was automatically moved in the new install. I really do not understand what this folder is. Usually, cache, user extensions, or configuration will go to the Roaming folder in AppData but I do not fully understand what this folder was. At least this way, this folder is not sitting with all my other personal stuff. Thank you all.

You can use the "&" character in the name of a directory, but it is not a good idea. I've got some co-workers who did this very thing and it sometimes wreaks havoc with batch processes unless one is very careful about parsing text. The funny thing is, the initial source of these kinds of shenanigans was from the very ancient times when we were running Pro/E on HP (Unix-based) workstations.

About seven years ago, some of our users were getting a bit crazy with their file / directory naming.  This was causing too many problems, so with some internet searching and help from our IT, we came up with this standard for our company.  Things have been much better since.

Top Tags