cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

can someone tell me why iam unable to extrude my sketch as solid??

pbandikatla
2-Guest

can someone tell me why iam unable to extrude my sketch as solid??

hello,

iam unable to extrude my sketch as solid but instead it is extruding as surface. i went through the drawing so many times but couldnt find any open loops.

Iam attaching the file can someone go through that and tell me where it going wrong.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

you have overlapping geometry. An advantage of creating the sketch in the feature/extrude is you will get an error when you try to complete it. You don't get this in the sketch only. See below for where the extra line was.

I would recommend breaking this up into a few sketches, extrude the outer shape and then extrude the t-slots, etc. trying to cram a bunch into one sketch becomes unmanageable at some point.

2016-11-10 09_28_43-PRT0001 (Active) - PTC Creo Parametric.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

you have overlapping geometry. An advantage of creating the sketch in the feature/extrude is you will get an error when you try to complete it. You don't get this in the sketch only. See below for where the extra line was.

I would recommend breaking this up into a few sketches, extrude the outer shape and then extrude the t-slots, etc. trying to cram a bunch into one sketch becomes unmanageable at some point.

2016-11-10 09_28_43-PRT0001 (Active) - PTC Creo Parametric.jpg

Yes you have an extra little line under  another larger one.

Capture.JPG

If you're not using them you may also want to use the tools for finding open ends and overlapping entities as well as shading the sketch to verify the geometry is extrudable.

Hello Kevin,

Can i know what are those tools that can help me finding these errors like open ends , overlapping geometry etc.

Thanks in advance

These icons will let you know that information in the sketch.

Icons.JPG

Shane's image shows the selections. A closed section will have a shaded area identifying it as an area that can be extruded. If there is overlapping geometry the area won't be shaded but the segments that have the overlap will be. If segment points overlap but not the segments themselves, the segments that the overlapping points are part of are highlighted. Open ends highlight with red circles or squares and indicate points that don't attach to other geometry.

Top Tags